SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
redding_gw

How about discussing trees?

12 years ago

We've gotten off on some trees in the wildflower forum, and Jeanie, you mentioned the gingko as being one of your favorites. I first became acquainted with it when I saw some fossils of gingko leaves at a small museum high on the banks of the Columbia River in inland WA. It's pretty amazing, isn't it? But isn't it also rather slow growing? I don't know if I have enough time to grow one and still be able to enjoy it as the years get shorter.

I agree that the mimosa can be messy. We had a run on robinia pseudoacacia 'Purple Robe' at the nursery in CA and they can beat a mimosa any day when it comes to mess. It's actually a form of black locust, and I suspect the native white form is growing wild here.

Some of my favorites for shape, color and form are the pink dogwood that not only has lovely blooms but also turns a deep pink-red in the fall. The first image here is a native white dogwood in the fall, sided by the brilliant yellow of a bigleaf maple. The second shot is of a hybrid pink dogwood that was a lot prettier and wider before it lost some branches to an out-of-season snow load.

I love some of the ash that put on such an outstanding display of fall color with their nice rounded habit, and the looser-limbed mountain ash that also provides the birds with a crop of showy berries; the pistache with its terrific fall color and the scarlet maple for the same reason. I suspect they won't grow here, except the pistache, but I'm sure there are others that will.

I really like a Shademaster gleditsia for the open shade it provides for a garden area. It can be a bit messy and sometimes shallow-rooted, but not too bad. And I'm quite fond of pistache. They can be really lovely.

One that I got very tired of seeing in NorCA was the liquidambar (American sweetgum). I don't think they'll grow here, so it's a moot point, but they were used to serious overkill in CA and they can be extremely fickle. They turn a variety of colors in the fall, and to choose the right one, the individual tree needs to be seen in the nursery in that season. As I said, I don't think they even grow here.

What about a star magnolia (stellata) as a small ornamental focus? Has anyone ever tried one? I've always been sort of attracted to them, depending on how it's pruned. I think I'd go for the open, lacy feel of a small tree rather than the more densely foliated shrub effect.

Sooner or later my yard and property will overfloweth with stuff, but it's fun to think of all the possibilities, even to learn by discussion of what will and will not work here. I just really, really like to see the variations in form and color throughout the seasons.

Pat

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH