SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sunslight

can't get my Plumies to go to sleep

sunslight
12 years ago

I live in Utah. Have 2 plumerias (golden something--anybody wanna feel generous and send some cuttings?) that I nurse along.

They go outside in early June and back inside in late September or when the night temps drop below 50.

Last year there were no flowers, but the previous 2 years, I finally got flowers. The plants are in 5 gal. buckets.

I want them to rest during the winter but have not been successful in getting them to sleep.

I wait until the night temp drops to the 45-50 deg range. But sometimes (many times) the weather has gone from 50 deg. at night, with the next night being in the 20s.

So, inside they go, before the low temperatures.

Because I bring them indoors, where the temp. is much warmer, they keep growing instead of going dormant.

I let them dry out as much as I can. This year I haven't watered them in 3 months and I cut off all the leaves. But they are still trying to put out new leaves, especially at the tip.

I opened a window in the room they are in--dropped the temp to 40, but when I close the window the temp goes back up to 60 or so and they seem perfectly happy to continue to grow, even though I have stopped watering.

The plants need to be divided. One year I tried to do cuttings indoors and even though I treated the ends with sulfur, then sealed them with wax, they went black & mushy. So, I know there are mold spores in the house that are just waiting to get at a wounded Plumie.

I'm afraid to do cuttings with them not being dormant & being inside, especially with loosing my other ones. And these are my last two.

If dormant, I assume there's much less of a chance of them getting disease when I make cuttings. But how do I get the darn things to go to sleep?

Or should I give in and keep them growing, with no rest?

I want Plumerias--even though I am in zone 5!

Help?

bob

Comments (6)