SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dwcallaway_gw

A word of thank and a few questions - new Gardener

dwcallaway
14 years ago

First of all, a big thanks to everyone who posts their advice here. Especially Dawn. You know what's up! I've been lurking for a few months now, just trying to read up and make sure I started out right. This is actually my second year for a garden. I have a 25 ft x 3.5 ft long flower bed in my back yard that I converted from holly bushes and other landscaping to a garden last year. As you might imagine, the first year was pretty bad. I still had a lot of roots leftover (I got all the big stuff out!). Still, last year, I had mongo (huge, for ya'll) basil plants that produced well into the fall and even provided me a ton of volunteers in the yard this spring. Everything else pretty much sucked. However, this year, I prepped my soil much better and made myself two little rows and went to town. I mulch grass, etc in a compost bin and I've added it here and there and my soil seems pretty good. Everything is growing great! I have 10 tomato plants. A little crowded, but not too much. I've even got tomatoes setting on my Beefsteak that I grew from seed. Alas, it was the only one of my starts to survive (I'll do it right next year). The others I bought from various places. 1 Rutgers, 5 Marion, a Roma, an Early Girl (which I nearly killed, but is coming back) and a Better Boy. They have been doing great, but I noticed some wilt near the bottom of the Better Boy. I used the link the AtM website and it was helpful. Here's the question...Can and should I prune the bottom of the plant near the ground where the leaves have wilted? I did apply a sulphur dust, so I can see how that goes. I am just wondering if I can mitigate the existing damage. Again, thanks all! Btw, I planted peppers, basil, and a few other herbs as well as a cucumber and a watermelon in a different section.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting