SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
davesgirlalways

New Gardener, a few questions

davesgirlalways
17 years ago

Hi everybody,

I took up indoor container gardening this summer as a new hobby, and chili peppers were one of the varieties of seeds I planted. I started them about 2 months ago in a window sill greenhouse, but after only a week or so the roots were poking out the drainage holes so I've since transplanted the seedlings to larger pots with a soil designed for cacti and succulents. The seedlings seem quite happy: about 4 inches tall, a couple of leaves on each one. They sit on a west facing window sill and get lots of sun. I water when the soil is almost dried out. So here are my questions:

1. Am I doing everything right?

2. Can chili peppers be a houseplant if they get enough sun? (I rent a house, and I'm not sure the landlord will let me rip up the yard to plant peppers...and I live in Canada so I'm not sure the peppers would do well in this climate anyway.)

3. When can I expect peppers to emerge? I don't actually like the taste of peppers, but I would like to dry them and use them for crafting purposes. And that leads me to my final question:

4. How do you dry peppers? :) I'd like to surprise my dad with some chili pepper flakes. He's obsessed with them. He carries a jar of them in his coat and puts them on EVERYTHING!! It's actually kind of funny.

Well, sorry that this post is so lengthy...thanks for your patience and for any suggestions you are able to provide!

Chris

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert