SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
diggerdee

Sheesh! Am I the only one who's so far behind?

I can't believe how far behind I am in my chores this year! I guess it has something to do with my increased work hours compared to last year, and then the monsoons earlier in the fall didn't help, but this is kind of ridiculous, lol!

On my back steps are two urns full of dead, snow-covered annuals. My back windows have two window-boxes with dead, snow-covered, trailing annuals. On my front steps are my snow-covered pumpkins. I have winter-sown plants still in their original plastic milk cartons outside under leaves and snow. I've got frozen peppers hanging on a trellis outside. My netting supports are still up in the cutting garden. I haven't put down a single shredded leaf in any of my beds, and my yard is only half-raked. The rest of the yard is covered in snow-covered leaves, which are now too wet to shred. I've also got bags of frozen topsoil, manure, etc. piled up in parts of the yard. All my garden statuary/ornaments are still there - I got a smile out of noticing a little frog peeking out of the snow this morning!

On the plus side, I did go out yesterday and brush the snow off my patio furniture cushions, brought them inside, and covered up the table and chairs. I also brought in about 75 pots of all sizes, and still have probably at least 100 yet to go into the garage, which is more than I thought I had. (I have to say that I'm not quite convinced that my potted roses are dormant yet, despite the freezing weather and snow.) I also drilled holes in another trash can to start another compost bin.

I'm planning on going out tomorrow to put some shredded leaves on my new lasagna bed right over the snow - at least I got all the coffee grounds down in time! I have two bags shredded in the garage, but that's not nearly enough for both the lasagna beds and the established beds. I'm also hoping to get more pots dragged into the garage, and if I can find some dry leaves, get some more shredded. Anyway, hope it's not too cold out tomorrow.

Well, thanks for letting me kvetch! I'll have to try to get more of a head start next year - or pay better attention to the weather forecasts, lol!

:)

Dee

Comments (27)