SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Am I the only one who does not hybridize?

newyorkrita
16 years ago

I got into this forum looking for advice after I first ordered daylilies this spring (as it turns out from the wrong place). Anyway, while I have always had daylilies in my garden, I never gave them that much thought, they were really old ones that I got here and there and bloomed for me once a year with no fuss, like I thought all daylilies did.

Well, after I saw all the pictures posted here and at the farms recommended by folks to buy at such as Maryotts and Marietta, that was it for me. I got the daylily bug really bad. I never realized there were daylilies that looked like the ones I saw pictured. I never realized there were evergreen and reblooming daylilies either, nor did I know there were any daylily diseases such as leaf streak and especially (shudder) rust.

So when I planned my new garden beds this spring (I was expanding a rose garden section and putting a new rose garden section in) I planned a nice new daylily bed in between the two rose sections. One of my better ideas, I must say. The daylilies will supply lots of bloom and color after the peak of the rose bloom is done after the spring flush.

I also put or am in the process of putting daylilies in different garden bed sections all around the yard here and there as I had been thinking of doing for afew years now. Guess this is my daylily year. (I did put in about 60 roses too this spring so roses have hardly suffered bringing my roses up to about 160 roses that I have planted in the last three years).

These projects were what I used my original Roots and Rhizomes Daylilies for and then my Marietta Gardens daylilies and lastly my Maryotts Daylilies for finishing the planting.

Lastly I had a section of sloping hill terraced in my backyard which was planned as a small project for this year but after I got the daylily bug I expanded plans for there and made the bottom of the two terraces really big as I had the room I could use. It is 6 feet wide by 26 feet long. I plan to put a back single row of roses and probably also in the back a big stand of Purple Coneflowers and maybe an ornamental grass. In front of everything I plan daylilies so I know I have room for at least two rows.

Right now the hardscape there is finished and empty and ready for planting. The last part was getting more topsoil to fill it and then ending with a layer of compost.

Some of my Maryotts bonus plants will start the back yard garden which my landscape guy who did the terracing calls the big planter. I call it the plateau.

I do have a Special coming from Maryotts in July to start off this plateau but its only going to make a dent. The daylilies I talked about adding to my Maryotts order in my Maryotts thread are for elsewhere and spoken for.

The point of all this was that I only want daylilies for those pretty flowers and to make my garden beautiful (or more beautiful as the case my be). I am looking to fill in bloom gaps and have more midsummer color, which I think I will have accomplished with my daylilies.

I was totally surprised at the number of hobby pollen dabbers doing their own hybridizing here on the forum. I didn't realize it was such a popular hobby. But its not something that interests me.

So I was wondering if there are others like me, bitten by the daylily bug to get more of those gorgeous flowers but have no interest in breeding? I will never be doing my own crosses but I will be buying more daylilies to add to my yard that is for sure.

Comments (19)