SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arbo_retum

Coleus Even Nore Forgiving than I Thought!

arbo_retum
15 years ago

I know it's late in the game to be posting this, but I hope some of you might remember it next year when coleus hit the nurseries.

I had 2 surprising results with coleus successfully growing in their original pots.

1) we have rectangular planter boxes in full sun in our driveway, flanking our entry door. I planted abutilon, coleus, pennisetum atropurp.and dahlias, happy all summer. I also set down two 3" plastic pots of coleus on top of the planter-box soil, and never planted them sans pots. Summer rains and hand watering kept the two coleus thriving and they have grown even bigger than the planted coleus near them (diff. variety).Huge and happy. When i explored their pots today i found that they had sent down strong roots from their little pots into the planter box. talk about a no-fuss plant!

2)In another planter- a decorative 2 tiered iron Victorian one, rather than line the 'trough' areas with (expensive)cocoa fiber matting, and fill w/ soil, i just filled one trough with a layer of 3" plastic pots of coleus.Resting on the top trough I left a plastic nursery plant tray filled with 3" pots of coleus and purple wandering jew.I kept all these plants well watered and they grew so well that their foliage obscured their pots.

My point is, you don't have to actually PLANT these coleus to have good success with them! That is a real surprise for me. And if I decide to see if I can succeed with overwintering them w/ grow lights, I'll be starting with healthy pots and not little cuttings!

best,

Mindy

Comments (7)