SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
1nonlyj

Forgiving and ... forgetting?

IdaClaire
13 years ago

How easy is it for you to truly forgive someone, forget whatever unfortunate incident it was that led to the need for forgiveness in the first place, and move on without looking back?

Or are you one who forgives - but always watches her back where the "perpetrator" is concerned?

How do you feel about the way that you handle forgiveness? Is it easier for you to forgive some people than others?

Without going into specifics, I have been thinking about this topic lately and find it rather interesting that I seem to be incapable of applying forgiveness in equal measures to everyone in my life. With some, it's not that difficult to forgive and to truly forget that the unfortunate incident ever occurred. With others, there have been apologies that haven't felt real on either side, and I continue to walk on eggshells in their presence. I'm certain it all has to do with the dynamics of individual relationships. Some relationships just matter more to me than others, and I suppose it's easier for me to forgive and move on when someone I truly value hurts me. On the other hand, part of me yearns to be able to extend true forgiveness equally to everyone in my life. I think that's because of certain tenets of spiritual belief that I was taught early on.

Anyway, this is just sort of an interesting topic to me so I thought I'd throw it out there for discussion. How do you forgive? Do you forget? Whom do you forgive? Anyone you just can't forgive? Share, please!

Comments (32)