SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
momtoogirls

New construction, AC freezing up/leaking

9 years ago

We are in the process of building a new home and about to close on it in two weeks. Last week when noticed there was water pooling around the AC/furnace area in the basement. Not a lot but just a good size puddle. We came back the next day to make sure it stopped since the AC unit had just been installed. It appeared completely dry. A week later we went back (today) and there is pooling again all under the ac/furnace area, plus all the tubing in the ceiling from the AC unit to the furnace (all along basement ceiling) it dripping moisture and freezing up in some spots...we can see white frosty stuff appearing around the insulation. We immediately called our construction manager, and he says that this is actually pretty common, as they ship the AC units without the full amount of coolant or Freon (forgive me, I forget exact way he worded it and I have NO clue as to what I'm talking about :) ) , and that once they turn this units on, they need to be serviced and the proper amount of coolants added. Does this sound right to you? My husband says he thinks it must mean there is a leak in the system...which is concerning. Obviously as a new build, we will have a warranty in place, but I'm still wondering if this is normal or does it sound right?

Comments (10)