SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
adamm321

Eastern Mass Fall Swap 2005 Continued

AdamM321
18 years ago

Hi,

This is a continuation of the thread "Any interest in another swap in eastern MA?". I was going to suggest that each swapper repost their wants and haves either to this post or someone can begin another seperate thread on the Exchange list, but maybe that is a lot to ask. I personally don't need the information repeated. I copy/pasted the information I was interested in to my own file already. So I leave it up to all of you.

Swap details:

The Swap is meeting at Marie's home in Lexington on the 1st of October, a Saturday. What about 10am? Marie, how would you like to handle directions to your home? Marie, will you have a table to use for refreshments and enough chairs for everyone?

So far, here is who we are expecting to attend:

Adam............. idabean

AGPanda......... mayalena

DaWiff......... Newfiewoofie

DtD............. Ron48

fgirl21.......... runktrun

Greening....... Scampi

grimadoyle..... Starbird

14 Swappers. If I missed someone, I am sure they will let us know. What we will need are enough snacks for 14+ people, paper plates, hot/cold cups? depending on the drinks brought, napkins, either ice and cooler for cold drinks, or hot beverages in a thermos? A gallon or two of water would be a good idea. What am I forgetting?

So far, I have offered to bring cocoa and zuchinni bread, mayalena has offered to bake, make soup, or bring a box of coffee. If I missed anyone else, I'm sorry. Mayalena, could you clarify what you meant by a "box" of coffee?

I can repost my wants/haves if someone needs me to. I hope this is clear.

Adam

Comments (101)

• Amanda (asarumgreenpanda, z6MA)
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi everyone, sorry to have dropped off the (Garden Web) planet. I haven't posted because A, I had computer trouble and couldn't open the GW pages for a while, and B, more importantly, I'm in the middle of an out-of-town, career-changing job search and am still waiting to see what happens with that. In addition to taking me away from email, physically, the job stuff has me in such a tizzy I don't really have the presence of mind to write coherent messages. I don't know what I'll have to swap yet, exactly, because if we move, most of the garden will be available to you all (but you might have to come over and dig it up, because I'll be packing). If we don't there are still a number of things...I will get to that list as soon as I can.

The one thing I would like: small Hydrangea starts/plants/rooted cuttings. DtD, if you have additional Preziosa and/or Tardiva still, I would love, love,love one of each or whatever is still available. I would also love any lacecaps.

I have lots of shrubs, lots of plants, all sorts of things to swap--I just can't think about it right now. My apologies.

I'm definitely coming to the swap, and will bring some sort of food or drink in addition to plants. Any requests?

Amanda

• lise_b
    18 years ago

HAVE:
    Only seeds. Corn poppy, baby's breath, tomatoes (Big Boy, Siberia, Brandywine, Cherokee Purple).

WANT:
    Old-fashioned blue or pastel pink or white or yellow flowers, plants or seeds, as long as they'll stay under 3' tall. (Taller than 3' but not very spready is great too.)

WILL BRING:
    Water. And probably brownies. ;)

• Related Discussions

WANTED: Markham Fall Swap - Oct 1st (continued)

Q

Comments (44)
    If I had to do it all over again, and know what I do now, I would recoomend the Black & Decker BV9000 Leaf Eater (at Costco for $79.00) verses buying the $300.00 Yarkworks 'chipper' for $199.00 at Cdn Tire. You can make alot more 'mulch' with leaves than you can with sticks & cones......in way less time. (and keep that little extra money to put towards that self propelled lawn monster that's on sale now at Home Depot or towards a new snow blowing machine you know you really really want and just haven't decided on which monster model you simply must have.) Costco's Black & Decker Leaf Eater comes with the attachments for blowing, vaccuming, shredding, over the shoulder bagging and added value at Costco is that it also includes the $30.00 garbage bin collection system, and an extention cord all for $79.00 - BV9000 is the model # - nice and light weight. Cdn tire sell the same machine but it is $10 more expensive and doesn't come with the extension cord and doen't include the garbage bin collection system (valued at $30.00) - (must be a promo deal with those two extras added in that is only offered at Costco) Here are the spec's: Push button release easily converts from blower to vacuum 3 Tools in 1 - Blower, Vacuum, and Mulcher Anti-clog Vortex® Vacuum System resists clogging Variable blow speed controls airflow from maximum 200MPH to 150 MPH Low Noise Design 10 to 1 mulch ratio mulches 10 bags of raked leaves into one bag of mulched leaves Reduces lawn clean-up to one simple step Deposits leaves directly into trash can No tools required I'm in love and have put my chipper in retirement as this little Black & Decker monster has shredded over 20 bags of maple leaves this afternoon - the front garden looks amazing with at least 6 inches of fine leaf mulch - haven't used the shoulder strap bagger yet because I've been having way too much fun using the 'leaf collection system' to put the pulverized leaves into - then running out to dump the garbage bins into the front gardens - more fun than I should be allowed! I'm going on a 'leaf hunt' tomorrow at the neighbours because I've vaccumed up and mulched every twig & leaf in my yard.......
    ...See More

HAVE: have list for mag fall 2005: sat, october 15th, @ ssfs

Q

Comments (23)
    I have small quantities (damn drought!) of: Salvia guarantica (the species, cobalt-blue blooms, from cuttings) Salvia transylvanica (seedlings, will bloom next year) Tricyrtis latifolia (decent sized first-year seedlings) blue mophead hydrangea (not sure of variety, Niko maybe? gallon-sized plants from cuttings that should bloom next year) Columbines (seedlings of "Ruby Port" and "Nora Barlow," but as promiscuously as they cross I make no guarantees) Armeria maritima (sea thrift--pink blooms) Sedum "Vera Jameson" (from cuttings) Aster tongolensis (East India aster--divisions; this aster has compact foliage, blooms in late May) Geranium "Claridge Druce" daylilies (undistinguished seedlings, some tall in red/orange shades, some short yellows, probably Stella D'Oro offsprings) ditchlilies (could dig if anyone really wants them) Steven
    ...See More

determining interest in a fall swap for eastern ma

Q

Comments (18)
    I'm out of town Sept 23-28 and Oct 5- Nov 1, so if it's on Sept 23 or Oct 14 I'll have to miss it. I don't have much ready to swap anyway, so I will just plan to see you all next spring, or I might be able to foist off a few plants on someone who's going to be at Katy's Marthas Vineyard Extravaganza in early September. Right now the only thing I've got growing that I'd bring that's at all unusual is rosemary-leaf willow (Salix elaeagnus, aka S. rosmarifolia). There are some variegated hydrangeas coming along, but they're a bit iffy anyway; hard to overwinter that first year after rooting. Other than that it's just some very common stuff, like thyme, rudbeckia, angelica, peach-leaf bellflower, columbine ... nothing anyone could get too excited about! I think you should go ahead and pick one of the dates listed above, and if anyone wants anything that's on my list we'll see if we can get a volunteer to bring it. Cheers - DtD
    ...See More

Fall plant swap in eastern MA???

Q

Comments (37)
    I think we're going to need at least 2 threads, including one for what people are bringing or looking for. If nobody objects, though, can we keep both on the 'discussion' side, and not bother with the 'exchange' side? There's really no advantage to using the exchanges for an event like this, it's meant for individuals to post plants they're going to share as individuals. Our posts about what we're planning to bring will be more of a discussion, like any other discussion, with the occasional summary that someone or another may spontaneously write up.
    ...See More
  • diggingthedirt
    18 years ago

Amanda, welcome back to GW! We've missed you.

I've got 4 preziosa starts, 2 bigger and 2 smaller - relatively speaking. I'm sure those have not all been spoken for, so one or 2 should have your name on them, depending on what I've already promised - I'll read back through the posts. The tardivas are volunteers, there are 2 so far but I'm planning to scout for more. I know at least 1 and maybe 2 people have requested those.

• cjsmith
    18 years ago

Hi! I'm another newbie with virtually nothing to trade. I do have some seeds: Wild lupine, pink columbine, portaluca mix, bellflower, cleome "White Queen" and mixed snapdragons. I'm not entirely sure I actually can make it to the swap on Oct 1 (depends on if I can steal the car for the day) but I was wondering if I can show up so emptyhanded? I'd love any extras people have, especially bulbs (daylily, iris, narcissus) and hostas.

--Carolyn

• Amanda (asarumgreenpanda, z6MA)
    18 years ago

Thank you, DiggingTheDirt. Preziosa is a gorgeous Hydrangea. (And of course you missed me! Because *everyone* needs to read more unnecessarily wordy and convoluted postings, and I'm an always-renewable resource for those :) )

Carolyn, yes, please come if you can get the car. Make sure it's empty, and bring something to eat or drink, and we'll all be happy. Hope to see you there.

Amanda

• lise_b
    18 years ago

Carolyn, I'd love some of your seeds!

• AdamM321
    Original Author
    18 years ago

UPDATE:

We have about 21 people scheduled to come.

SUPPLIES:
    Marie has a table and 16 chairs
    Need nametags/markers to write with/Paper Plates/Hot/cold cups/Napkins

DtD... is bringing a folding chair
    Adam...2 folding chairs
    Adam...markers for nametags

FOOD/DRINK:
    Adam..carafe of cocoa/food
    DtD.... food TBD
    Greening...water/brownies
    Jen ...food
    jleek...refreshment
    Maura...food, drink
    Mayalena..box of coffee + baked treat
    sweety13...bake something

Have I missed anyone?

It would seem we need...

We could use 4-5 more folding chairs. Lawn chairs are fine.
    If someone has nametags leftover, that would be great. I have markers to write with.
    Are we going to have hot or cold drinks or both, if cold drinks do we need a cooler? So far it sounds like hot drinks and water. Which to me is fine.
    We need hot/cold cups
    We need cream/sugar for coffee
    We need paper plates
    Napkins

Have I missed anything?

Some people are coming long distances with lots of plants in their car. It would be great if those people didn't have to try to fit folding chairs in their cars too.

Also, it would be difficult for those coming long distances to bring hot/cold drinks.

Adam

• sweety13
    18 years ago

I have a few things I know I will bring
    Coral Reef Sedum
    Chinese Sedum
    Unnamed Red Daylily
    Hyperion Daylily
    Small Japanese Pamina Anenome
    I have 2 Dark Purple lilac starts I am trying to root
    Angel Wing Begonia-Adam, I have one set aside for you
    Driftwood Markers
    Lots of seeds
    Things I would like
    I would love one of DtD's Prezioza Hydrangea
    Sunset Echinacea or any besides Purple or White Swan
    Blue Hosta
    Dragons Blood Sedum-love it
    Daylilies I don't have
    Allium bulbs,I would love purple
    Spring Bulbs,
    Crocosmia
    Flowering Perennials that can tolerate Shade

Am really looking forward to this swap!!Steph

• dawiff
    18 years ago

Hi Adam,

I can bring two lawn chairs. I was also just out at Staples and saw a packet of My Name Is....nametags, so I bought it.

I brought a fruit plate thingy last time, I think. I can bring that again, it seemed pretty popular. I think I would also like to bake something, if I have time after all the digging I am planning to do, so if there are still fresh blackberries at the grocery store in Oct., I will bring a blackberry cobbler that I recently learned how to bake. It's really yummy!

I think usually the box of coffee that Mayalena is planning to bring comes with enough creamers and sugar.

Alison

• AdamM321
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Alison...

Great info..thanks so much for picking up the nametags. I don't get out to the stores much, so that is a big help. I remember your fruit plate...it was very refreshing. Blackberry cobbler??! Now you have my mouth watering..lol.

Thanks Alison..
    :-)

• AdamM321
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Oh I almost forgot...Ron is having computer problems and won't be able to get back to the thread right away, but he is still planning on coming to the swap and will be back in touch as soon as he is up and running again.

Adam

• cjsmith
    18 years ago

When do you need a definite confirmation from me? Can I leave myself as a definite maybe? If I do come, I'll bring donuts or somesuch. Greening, if I dont make it, send me your address and what seeds you want and I'll send you the seeds. Still negotiating with DH about the car. Maybe I can talk him into coming too (I'm a new driver and still very insecure on the highways on my own).

• Marie Tulin
    18 years ago

Bring your husband. We are well trained and don't sniff or bite people inpolitely. He can bring a book and lie down in a hammock, or visit the minuteman.

Marie

• mayalena
    18 years ago

I'll bring a folding chair, coffee for 20 (includes cups, sugar, milk and cream), and something yummy -- like apple crisp or zucchini-sweet potato-applesauce bread.

• Marie of Roumania
    18 years ago

cjsmith, i live in quincy & have a little truck. if you live semi-nearby i could pick you up or maybe you feel comfortable driving to quincy; i could get us to lexington. you can e-mail me: marieroumania@earthlink.net.

my garden is new & so i don't have much to share -- a few sturdy rosemarys i potted up this spring, oregano, some chater's double yellow hollyhock seeds ... adam, if you're still looking for an angel-wing begonia, i need to snip off the branch that's brushing the ceiling anyway (it gets huge & has nifty silver spots).

i've been sheet composting a largish shady spot this year to start planting next year, so i'd love to get my grimy mitts on any interesting shade stuff.

at any rate, gardeners are good people & it sounds like a lovely event. i'd feel like a rat-fink showing up with not much to share when everyone else is bursting at the seams, but if you need a ride, cjsmith, then i'd be bringing you & that'd be just swell.

• diggingthedirt
    18 years ago

Sweety, I've got some drumstick allium bulblets I can bring, not sure if that's the kind you want. If you're looking for the big ones (like Globemaster), I'll just plant these here, so let me know.

Adam, I just dug 2 oak-leaf hydrangeas and see 1 or 2 more. I'll put your name on a couple.

And, also for Adam, I'm sorry, I just saw your post about digging hydrangeas. I find them pretty easy to transplant, and, if you can't find a pot, a plastic bag will do. Shade is a big help after they're dug! You're right to not dig them when they're drought stressed, but I guess that's finally over.

I guess the best way to keep track of who is promised what is to put the name on a tag in the pot. We can have "round 2" where anything requested but not wanted becomes available, right?

• AdamM321
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Good morning... :-)

CJSMITH...I just wanted to say that we don't have to have a commitment about whether you are going to come or not. If you can come at the last minute, that is great, if not, we will miss you and hope to see you at the spring swap, or in the Winter Sowing forum all winter. :-) I see you have a great offer from MarieR about coming, so maybe that will help solve your dilemma. BTW, we had a couple of husbands attend the last time.

MAYALENA... thanks for another chair and wow, I didn't know the coffee serves 20..lol..that is a lot of coffee. It comes with the cups and cream and sugar too! How is it I have not heard of this before? My mouth is watering with all the ideas for snacks everyone has. [g] Mayalena that is very generous of you to bring that much coffee...thanks very much.

UPDATE ON SWAP DETAILS:

Well, if the cups and cream and sugar are all included with 20 cups of coffee that mayalena is bringing, then I will bring the paper plates and the napkins. Alison is bringing name tags. I think we may still need a few more folding or lawn chairs. If anyone thinks we need a cold drink or anything other than the coffee, let us know. Again, I have a carafe that I can fill with cocoa. I am not sure how many cups it holds. I would bring more if I had another carafe or something to put hot cocoa in. I haven't figured out what I am bringing for food yet.

MARIE-R....I'll send you directions. Marie., I would love another angel wing begonia cutting. I have asked everyone that has them for one..lol. I have someone who asked me for one plus I wanted one for myself. Thanks a lot. I love that you are sheet composting. I always wish to do that but never can accumlulate enough materials to. Looking forward to meeting you at the swap.

Adam

• AdamM321
    Original Author
    18 years ago

DtD...no problem..there are so many posts to this thread it is hard to keep up with them. [g]

Thanks for the idea about the plastic bag. I hadn't thought of that. I was getting ready to get burlap at Lowe's and dig it up tomorrow, but I think the plastic bag idea will work even better. So yes, we got enough rain the last couple of days THANKFULLY! If I am going to put it in a plastic bag, then I can dig it out this weekend and just keep it in the shade until the swap and keep it watered and it should be fine.

Also love your idea about putting a tag on the pots that are promised to people. I think that will work out great too. As for what to do at the swap...I think many others probably including you DtD, are more experienced with how to work all that out. Remember this is only my second swap, so I defer to all of you. :-)

Adam

• diggingthedirt
    18 years ago

Oh, dear, I guess it's time for me to mention that I haven't attended a GW swap before, just the local annual Plantaholics Swap, and lots of benefit plant sales. So, I'd better not pretend to be an expert in this.
    DtD

• fgirl21
    18 years ago

Well DARN.
    I can't come and play with everyone.Have to attend a wedding for a work colleague of DH and will be out in the Worcester area. Can't figure out how to squeeze both events in the day nor can I figure out how to get out of the wedding LOL.

I hope someone takes lots of pics to post at the end.
    And I'll be ready for the spring swap!

• AdamM321
    Original Author
    18 years ago

DtD..well your plantaholic swaps [plural] qualitfy you more than my one swap.. [g] I guess I assumed you might have gone to more swaps than me. Well, it doesn't matter. I am not sure if anyone of us knew what we were doing at the spring swap and we did fine. We didn't actually have a plan we just winged it and we all had a great time and I don't think anyone went home disappointed.

At the spring swap, what we did was spend about an hour and a half, waiting for everyone to arrive, and visited and had refreshments while everyone was unloading their cars. Marie has a gravel driveway that we set up under a tree and we all had a chair around the edge of the driveway and our plants around our chair. Once everyone was there, we started going around in a circle and introduced ourselves and had a chance to talk about what we brought. As far as I know there was only a little prearranged swapping which is different than this swap. Then everyone just walked around looking over everyone else's plants and making swaps.

I assume that if people have made prearranged swaps, they can put aside plants that they are holding for someone and work that out between them.

If anyone has a different idea...

Adam

• AdamM321
    Original Author
    18 years ago

fgirl..so sorry to hear you won't be able to make it. I was looking forward to talking to you about all the work you have done in your yard. I read your member page and you really have done a LOT of work! You will have to tell me where you got your rainbarrels. We all could have used those this year. [g] Very smart move.

Gee, it is a good thing you weren't having the swap at your house! LOL

Hope you enjoy the wedding. Weddings always beat out swaps any day. Maybe we will see you in the Winter Sowing forum over the winter?

Adam

• fgirl21
    18 years ago

LOL Adam - if the swap were at my house, I would have had an excuse not to schlep to a wedding! Yes, they are joyous events and I'm sure that it'll be just fine. I just would much rather be talking about plants, getting plants and seeds, sharing what I have and feeling like I might ALMOST be a pseudo accomplished green thumb!

Rain barrel came from the town recycling program for $47. Then I got TWO FREE from craigslist. Before I got these, I priced them at a Springfield, MA place for $65 including delivery.

I'll be over at winter sowing without a doubt! I actually collected seed this year (a first) and learned lots of lessons from my first winter sowing experience. I hope to get TONS of seedlings this time around - gotta fill out some of these beds I made or DH will have a fit!

• diggingthedirt
    18 years ago

Adam, that sounds like a good plan! Most of the things I'm bringing are not for pre-arranged swaps, but then a lot of it is awfully small and may end up coming home with me anyway.

I'll be travelling next week, so I'll be off the forum for the most part. I'm hoping my swap plants will be ok - many are small and need to be checked daily until they get settled into those pots. He Who Does Not Garden will have to provide foster care, and I'll hope for rain.

• AdamM321
    Original Author
    18 years ago

fgirl....well, I hadn't thought of it that way, but in the end, your husband will be happier, knowing you gave up gardening for him and that will make you happier. Gardeners don't live by gardening alone. :-)

Thanks for the info on the rainbarrels. I will have to check with my town to see if they have any. I got my compost bins thru the town. Did you find the rainbarrels on craigs list or did you request them on craigs list?

I am in the same boat with WS. I tried 5 containers last year and 3 germinated. I guess I was a little heavy handed with the viola labradorica as I ended up with 56 little plants..lol. That was when I was hooked. [g] Going to start collecting containers as soon as the swap is over.

See you there..

Adam

• AdamM321
    Original Author
    18 years ago

DtD...I have a lot of plants that are not prearranged as well. I would plan on nothing going home with you DtD. It doesn't matter how small it is...lol.

Have a good trip and we'll see you when you get back. I think we are pretty much set from here. I expect there will be little new while you are gone.

Talk to you soon..
    Adam

• ron48
    18 years ago

New England Fall Plant Swap

Perennials

Alyssum condensatum, Bright yellow flowers, 6" spring, 5-6 potted

Arabis ferdindinandi-coburgii " Variegata", Rock Cress, early spring white flowers 6". leaves hug the ground, leaves take on a burgundy cast in late fall. Z5.......... 2 plants potted

Aster novi-belgii "Purple Viking" 12-18", Z3......... 2 potted

Asters several named, white, pink, light blue Z 4 ............4-6 plants

Astible "Superba", Rose purple, 40" July, Z3...........2 potted

Astilbe "Visions", Lt. purple, 18" July, Z3..............2 potted

Columbine small blue, flowers at 3".
    Columbine mixed colors

Gaura "Pink Fountain" 18" all summer, established plants require little water, native to Texas Z5,...........2-4 potted

Ligularia "The Rocket" , moist rich soil, shade, 60" yellow trusses in late July. Z5............3 potted

Physostegia - False Dragonhead, white flower spikes 24" , summer, sun Z3...........2-3 potted

Chelone obliqua - Rose Turtle's Head, 36" rose flower in Sept - Oct. semi-shade ( I grow mine in 3/4 sun with no supplementary water) Colonizes nicely. Z 4............2-3 potted

Ferns asstd. including Japanese painted fern, Z5, ...............10-12 potted

Penstemon digitalis, "Huskers Red" white flowers July, dark leaves 36" sun Z4............2-4 potted

Bergenia Bessingham Pink, zone 4-9, drought tolerant, 6 plants

Carex ornithopoda var. very small leaf 1/8" x 8" long, cream & green, 10 year old clump is 12", very drought tolerant Z 4.........2 potted

Hosta, small plants potted, larger plants bare root. Thumbnail, Purple Dwarf, Pandora's Box, Lemon Lime, Ground Master, Sharmon, Caput - Avis, August Moon, Fortunei Albopicta

Iris s. 'Sparking Rose' potted 1 gal.

Sedum dark foliage, pink flowers in late August, 6" ( I lost the ID years ago). Z 4............3-4 potted
    Spurge polychroma. 3 potted

Herbs
    Chives potted
    Chives Garlic potted
    Lavender potted
    Thyme v. potted
    Oregano Potted

Shrubs and Trees

Acer ginnala var. aidzuense, There appears to some confusion on the part of maple experts as to where this tree should be placed. Acer tataricum ssp. aiduense, take your pick in any case. This small tree small maple, to 25'. Dense branching, young branches are light brown to reddish. Autumn color is yellow to crimson dotted with yellow. This sub species is quite rare in cultivation. Zone 4 potted 2 yr. old trees. Early Sept. in Boston, the leaves start changing, pinks and rose, unlike other ginnala trees I have now or in the past. Good luck figuring this one out!........... several potted 2 years old

Acer pseudosieboldianum, Purplebloom Maple, a small tree, very hardy, bright red fall color. zone 5, maybe 4 in the right location. related to acer japonicum and palmatum. Manchuria, Korea 2 yrs. old.......... several potted

Acer rufinerve, Redvein Maple, a small tree, 30-35" but seldom attains that size in the US. A snake bark maple, green bark with pronounced whitish vertical striations. Full sun, but light shade is preferable. Fall color is variable, red to yellow. Z5-7 2 years old, Japan.......... several potted

Cornus officinalis, small tree, yellow flowers in early spring. red fruits, zone 5, Korea........... 5 potted

Koelreuteria paniculata "Rose Lantern" originated at the Arnold Arboretum, a small tree, bright yellow flowers are produced in large quantities on 12-15" long panicles in June and July, followed by rich green colored, papery, lantern like capsules. Unlike the species, (paper bag brown) Rose Lantern capsules are what else but rose colored. fast growing, drought tolerant Z(5)6-7 2 yr. old, trees. ..........2 potted

Platycarya strobilacea, Korea, the Asian version of the walnut with out the large nuts. Its considered a famine tree. Eat only after you have eaten ALL else. I don't think its available in N. America. z5-8............ 2 potted

Styrex j. seedlings, seed collected from two pink trees in 03. the flowers could be white to pink Z5............ 5 potted

Hydrangea "Blue Wave" fall 05 ...............3 potted

Speria japonica var. alpina, 15-30" tall x 3-4", bright pink rose flowers,dried flower heads are retained through winter. Z3-9 Japan...........2-3 potted

Speria j.' Shibori ('Shirobana') 2-3' white, pink, red inflorescence summer till mid fall, Z 4-9 ...........2-3 potted

Weigela, I have several plants, named plants, I have to take inventory. flowers in early summer. 4x4 Z4-8 full sun to partial shade..........3-5 potted

looking for
    Named Rex begonias
    variegated foliage perennials for sun
    unopened bags of soiless mix
    named hostas I don't have, http://members.gardenweb.com/members/exch/ron48
    OR make me an offer.

My pc is not due back from the computer hospital until this Friday 9-23, but I have use of one less often.

For those who have contacted me earlier o trades please resend a complete list to, rec7@verizon.net

Thanks you, Ron

• cjsmith
    18 years ago

Marie--I appreciated the offer of a ride, but it's pretty much going to be all or nothing. I live in Middleboro, getting to Quincy is more than half the trip. Thanks anyway though!

--Carolyn

• cjsmith
    18 years ago

Oh, and I joined this after directions had been sent out to everyone, so I didnt receive any. Can you email me the directions? Thanks!

--Carolyn

• scampi
    18 years ago

Once again, I won't be able to attend the swap. I'm so bummed! I was really looking forward to this too! I know a few people contacted me about some things so I don't know what to do. Sweety13/Steph wanted some nicotiana, but that is an annual. I'll definitely have tons again next spring. I think someone also emailed me about raspberries, but my pc crashed and I lost all of my old emails.

And my pine voles are back with a vengance again! I set out 4 snap traps last night and caught 2 of the ba$tards! I know there's more under there since they turned cannibalistic and started eating one that was dead in the trap! EEWWWWWWW!!! These rodents are just gross!

I hope everyone has a great time and I'm sorry I won't be there to join in the fun.

• wendy2
    18 years ago

I'll be able to come after all. Yeah! I am looking forward to meeting everyone.

I have:

foxglove seedlings (Pam's choice)
    hosta 'gold standard'
    hosta 'sieboldiana elegans'
    tall bearded iris - golden yellow
    tall bearded iris - light purple & dark purple
    tall bearded iris - dark purple & white
    tall bearded iris - yellow & white (small pieces)
    geranium 'wargrave pink' & seedlings
    penstamon 'husker's red'
    siberian iris - mystery colors
    1 or 2 peony - mystery colors

If anyone especially wants something on this list, e-mail me please, I may not have a chance to dig all of the above.

I am not really looking for much, but I could be tempted with named hosta, named daylilies or other shade or part shade perennials.

I'll also bring paper plates & napkins if they are still needed.

Could someone send me directions? Adam?

Thanks!

-Wendy

• AdamM321
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Scampi,

So sorry you won't be able to come. I hope your daughter's injury is better. That is one of the good things about winter being between fall and spring. Not much has changed in the garden by the spring..lol. So I am willing to bet there will be another swap in the spring, and we'll get another chance to do it again.

Eeeewww! about the pine voles. Never heard of them and glad I haven't. I am unhappy just having squirrels and chipmunks and what looks like a new addition, a little mole.

See you in the spring scampi...
    Adam

• AdamM321
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Wendy,

Glad you can come and I sent along directions. ..

See you at the swap!

Adam

• ron48
    18 years ago

Hi every one, I received my computer back......... I felt like I was "Lost in Space" without it.
    What else needs to be brought? food, drink, plant labels......

If any one who contacted me has NOT received a reply from me PLMK.

thanks Ron

• Marie Tulin
    18 years ago

Ron,
    If you are strong of back, it be helpful for you to carry back chairs to the house or patio. That's a big contribution! I think we are straight on what you are bringing me. I bought epimediums Saturn and Purple Prince for you....are you sure there's nothing else you'd like?
    Marie

• sweety13
    18 years ago

Hi Adam and Marie,
    Could either of you send me directions, for some reason I can't open my old emails and Marie I tried to email you but no addy? I need to ask you about an area where my sons gram could pick him up, she lives in Milton and is going to take him for the day, and wants to meet me at someplace right off the interstate, any ideas? Could you please get back to me, I told her I would call her tomorrow, Thank You so much, Steph

• cjsmith
    18 years ago

I also dont have directions...

Still dont know if I'm going to be able to show, especially with the mongo tree branch that came down last night (missed everything pretty much, but still).

--Carolyn

• flowersandbirds4ever
    18 years ago

anyone from maine need a ride i live in milo
    I would like to come signed up in begining
    how does this work since alot of stuff people want or is asking for-for ones that didnt know.???
    I would like to come if I can get some one to car pool with im about 4 1/2 hrs
    I have lots of daylilies hostas and other things to bring.

• Marie Tulin
    18 years ago

flwrs&brd4ver,
    Sorry, but your note is a little too shorthand for me to understand.
    Could you clarify questions 3 and 4?

Speaking for all of us (humorously)HOpe you can come.
    Marie

• AdamM321
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hello all..time for last minute details.. :-)

UPDATE FOR ALL:

We are expecting between 20 and 25 swappers on Saturday. I think everyone has directions. If someone could bring a half a gallon of cider that would be great! You could bring that instead of a snack would be fine and if you could let me know that you can bring it, I would appreciate it.

Marie has reminded me to explain to all that everyone can unload at the driveway but then must drive down the street to park.

We would also like to remind everyone to bring something to carry home your plants in..a tray, a cardboard box? Maybe a plastic liner or bag for the trunk of your car to keep it clean.

Am I forgetting anything? :-)

Adam

• sweety13
    18 years ago

Adam,
    Thanks for responding to my earlier post about a place to meet my sons gram, but I still don't know where I am going in Lexington, my email with directions from you earlier this month won't open :( Sorry for being a pain! Steph
    I'll pick up cider...

• Alice Johannen
    18 years ago

Well, Adam knows this, but I thought I'd share with the rest of you that I'm going to try to come this weekend. I must say, though, I am TOTALLY SCARED OF YOU PEOPLE!! So many plants, and you all know all the latin names and everything. It's giantly intimidating to a poor garden inheriter like me -- I sorta kinda know what things are, but certainly not which variety they are 'cause I didn't choose them.

I was going to bring
    *some blue/purple siberian irises (yellow inside) *pulmonaria
    *centaurea montana
    *An azalea I can't remember the name of
    *Red twig dogwood (if anyone's interested)
    *Going to pass on bringing rudbeckia, looks like there will be a lot of it!
    *Anyone need Lily of the Valley?
    *Any sense in trying to pot up some geranium macrorrhizum?

This is going to be challenging because nothing's dug yet and ... I don't have any pots! Help!

• AdamM321
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Sweety...

I sent an email about 3pm to your email address, and again just now at 10:30pm. I hope you are getting them. If not let me know again and I will try something else. Are you getting any email?

Thank you for offering to bring the cider. I appreciate it.

I will wait to hear from you..you can email me directly which will work fine as long as I can email you back. [g]
    AdamM321@comcast.net

• dawiff
    18 years ago

Oh please, AlicePalace, can I have some of that red twig dogwood?

I am planning to dig my stuff up the day before, leave as much dirt as possible clinging to the roots, and then wrap wet paper towels or newspapers and saran wrap or ziploc baggies around the roots. A lot of folks on the Plant Exchange forum use that method to ship plants, and they usually ship three days by Priority Mail. I've exchanged lots of plants that way and they always turn out fine.

Alison

• diggingthedirt
    18 years ago

AlicePalace - Wow! I can't even remember when I didn't have any pots. You're SO lucky.

If you don't have pots, just dig a few things the evening before and put them in plastic bags or cardboard boxes. As long as they're not in direct sun they should do fine.

I was hoping to sign up to bring cider, but I wasn't quick enough. How about a gallon of iced green tea and something to munch? Let me know if something else would be better, I can bring cups/plates etc if you'd like.

flowersandbirds4ever -
    >how does this work since alot of stuff people want or is asking for-for ones that didnt know.???

I'm guessing at what you mean; if you would like something that someone has listed, you can either arrange an exchange in advance or just take your chances. I think most people are just going to swap on the fly, so to speak, though some things have been pre-arranged. I hope this answers your question!

• Marie Tulin
    18 years ago

Oh, AlicePalace, don't be scared. We are the nicest, least intimidating bunch of people you'll ever meet. We are gardeners, just plain gardeners, some older, some younger, some with big suburban yards, others little plots that go with rented apartments.

We just write good lists.

The most important thing is growing more gardeners (as an alternative to, say, growing people to work on the stock exchange) However, they would be welcome too, if they were also gardeners.

The event is at my house. there will be weeds, dead plants hiding in the back, things I got at the spring swap that never got planted, no lawn because it is being seeded, a fountain I've had for 3 months and never hooked up.

My bathroom is clean only because I paid some people to clean it this week. Normally, it is gross.

Feeling more at home? Looking forward to meeting you.

Marie

• AdamM321
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hello...

Alice...we are all just gardeners...with or without the latin. [g] We all love plants. You will be in good company.

DtD...thanks for the offers. Right now, we have the cider and someone offered to bring napkins/plates/cups. I think we are all set and whatever you would "like" to bring...bring that!

Thanks all..
    :-)
    Adam

• Alice Johannen
    18 years ago

Thanks, guys and gals. I'll try to stop fretting. You do all sound so nice, and yet I feel like I'm going to the school dance without a date! :-)

Dawiff, I'd love the coneflowers, if they're not spoken for. Anyone with hostas to share, particularly if they are variegated, I will partake. Heuchera, too. (Trying to build my shady path garden along the side of my house).

ALSO, I am in great need of sun-loving plants for the sunniest spot in my yard: Around the mailbox. I was thinking some spring bulbs and ... not sure what else, but if you bring sun-lovers, I'd love to know about it so I can consider them for this new garden. (It used to be all baby's breath, but I finally resigned myself to the fact that I HATE baby's breath and I ripped it all out. This was only last weekend and it may still be salvageable, if someone wants some.)

I honestly don't know what a lot of the plants are that people are bringing. I do hope people will have pictures and info on where to plant (sun/shade) so newbies like me can know whether something would work for them. :-) I will be bringing pics of my plants in bloom, as well as pics of my property so everyone can see my projects. I'd love to see everyone else's, too. Hint hint!!!

Happy digging, everyone!

• lise_b
    18 years ago

Hi AlicePalace,

At the last swap we had at least one big reference book. I'll bring one this time so you can see pictures and info on the plants, even if people can't go the printer route.

I just got back from a trip to DC where it was in the mid-80's... and brrr, I'm definitely back in New England now. *g* Ah, well, wouldn't live anywhere else.

• garotina
    18 years ago

Sorry I missed your Swap in Eastern MA, I am in the north shore, and have garlics to trade.
    Thank you,

-Carmen