SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greenmanok

need suggestions

greenmanOK (Zone7)
15 years ago

Hi all. I hope you are doing well and enjoying your spring gardening. In picking up where I left off in the fall, I'm still trying to find some shrubs for the south side of our house and would like to get some suggestions. The attached picture is the area I am working on. I basically want two vertical shrubs--one on either side of the boxwoods. As you can see, however, space is limited (esp on the left side), as I am wanting to center the arrangment in front of the windows. I'm open to suggestions, but I'm leaning toward a coniferous columnar of some sort. I saw some blue arrow junipers in the nursury yesterday and LOVED them. I have read that they get about 2 feet wide by about 12-15 feet tall. I have about 3 1/2 feet to work with on the left side, so that width is perfect, but I'm afaid they will eventually get too tall (the roof starts at about 11' on that left side). I'd really like someting like the blue arrow juniper, but 10 feet is the max height I want them to get. Can these be trimmed to this height? Are there any other varieties that might work in these locations? My ultimate plan is to have this arrangment (the boxwoods in between two vertical shrubs) centered on the windows, and then some sort of specimen to the right toward the corner of the house. I will probably also extend the bed out several feel eventually. Your suggestions are most welcome.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:252534}}

Comments (7)