SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ellen_s

Wild flowers at Norcross Wildlife Sanctuary

ellen_s
15 years ago

Earlier this month I visited Norcross Wildlife Sanctuary in Monson, MA. It was a New England Wild Flower Society field trip offered because of the sanctuary's use of many native plantings. It's worth a trip if you are interested in natives and habitat restoration. They had a woodland area that was loaded with large stands of fully blooming Actaea racemosa (Black Cohosh) which is one of my favorite native woodland plants. It looked like a spooky wood:

{{gwi:1087628}}

The sanctuary has a large man-made pond with all kinds of gorgeous moisture loving plants, including Plymouth Gentian, which is an endangered plant native to coastal ponds of the East Coast:

{{gwi:1087629}}

I had never seen this growing before so was very excited. Our tourguide Leslie was nice enough to offer to send me seeds from their population of plants to try growing myself - it is so pretty.

They also had a lovely field of the native grass Little Bluestem. I'd love to see this field later in the year when the Little Bluestem takes on its gorgeous reddish/bronze tints:

{{gwi:1087630}}

Probably worth a trip in spring as well, to see the spring ephemeral display. The sanctuary is huge (1000s of acres I believe) and deer damage is a real problem for the forest understory, so they have one large area fenced off with deer fencing in order to allow understory plants and shrubs to flourish.

A hidden treasure in central/Western Massachusetts!

Here is a link that might be useful: Norcross Wildlife Sanctuary web site

Comments (3)