SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
docmom_mn_zone_5

What more can we do to preserve wildlife?

docmom_gw
4 years ago

My brother is an entomologist and teaches environmental conservation at a large university. We speak often of the declining insect populations, and he recently expressed frustration at the lack of general knowledge re the state of the environment. I am trying to do my small part to convert my personal space into a welcoming, safe place for wildlife. But, it saddens me to see how much wasted space there is all around us that could/should be used to bolster our shrinking wild spaces.

How do each of you approach this subject? At my previous job, I was able to install a small pollinator garden. It was at the edge of the parking lot, and I put up signs to inform others of its purpose. I hope it increased awareness of options for at least some of the people who park there.

My new job is in a suburban building surrounded by a huge lawn. My organization rents the space, so we can’t do anything we want with the property. I could approach the owners for permission to make changes, but I don’t have the time or resources to maintain more than my own 2+ acres. I really am afraid for our planet and what will be left for my grandkids. I even toy with the idea of dropping everything to become an environmental activist. But, that would limit my financial resources and personal options even more than they already are.

Thoughts?

Martha

Comments (35)

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm