SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arbo_retum

Tribute to Fred McGourty- a true great of the garden world

17 years ago

Found this today and wanted to share this with youall.

"Written by

Walter Fekula (New York, NY USA)

A National Treasure, June 4, 2006

On April 27, 2006, Fred McGourty passed on a few months short of reaching his 70th birthday (October 26). I initially met him in September 1954 and was his roommate at the University of Pennsylvania. We remained lifetime friends. After college, Fred spent almost 20 years at the Brooklyn Botanic Gardens as editor of what became the highly respected Handbooks series. In 1978 he won the American Horticultural Society's coveted G. B. Gunlogson Award. Shortly thereafter, Fred inherited a 5-acre plot of land in Norfolk, Connecticut, which, with the help of his wife Mary Ann, started Hillside Gardens specializing in perennials. At one time the gardens had over 2,000 varieties and achieved a national reputation. It became a tourist-sight visited by thousands of horticultural enthusiasts. Fred was known as the "guru" of perennials, designed many gardens at various prestigious estates in the Northeast, had many speaking engagements and appeared on television being featured in "Great Gardening" and "Victory Garden".

In 1989, the hardcover edition of "The Perennial Gardener" was published which was so successful; a paperback edition soon followed in 1991 and remained in print for over a decade. (It is hoped that another reprint will soon be made). The book displays the enormous amount of knowledge Fred acquired during his decades of study and practical experience. His personality and dry wit shine through. He also tries very hard to explain concepts in a clear and understandable fashion. I love the perceptive and enthusiastic review by reader Susan McLaughlin (see below). Fred touched many hearts and minds of people and was one of those rare individuals who combined talent, wit, intelligence, kindness and a caring for others. Yesterday, I attended a Memorial Service at a rain-drenched Hillside Gardens. I was not at all surprised that hundreds of his neighbors and friends braved the weather to attend. All of us are privileged to have known him. Fred was indeed "a national treasure"."

Hillside Gardens in Norfolk Ct., Fred's home and eventual nursery, was the first awe inspiring garden I experienced in my nascent years as a gardener.His book and lectures were real highlights for my early voracious learning period.I loved his sense of humor and to this day, I use 2 of his humorous concepts in my gardening thoughts:

1) the concept of garden 'thugs' and

2) his saying, "If my plants got frequent flier miles,they would have been around the world many times by now"

(ha! isn't that a 'keeper'?!)

best, mindy

Here is a link that might be useful: The Perennial Gardener

Comments (9)