SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
luxrosa

Thank you Gregg Lowery, of Vintage Gardens

luxrosa
10 years ago

Because your nursery is closing, I wanted to say
Thank You.
Because you have enriched my life with your roses, but also with your kindness.
I have been impressed at Old Rose sales with how patient you have been, when I've seen you after the sale or auction walking around, and it seemed to me as though everyone who sees you comes up with a question about a rose,or a cultivation method, and I was impressed with your poise and how you answered each query politely.

I have heard a riddle
" How do you make a small fortune by owning a winery?"
" start with a large fortune"

I think it may be also true of an own-root rose nursery, perhaps, it seems to me to be a labor of much love, without great financial rewards... but being surrounded by beautiful and fragrant roses and marvelous people who love them may be another sort of payoff.

My garden is a treasure because of the roses I have from your nursery;
Because you grew these; they grace my life;
- a bouquet of pink and yellow Mrs. Dudley Cross' roses is in an old vase on my kitchen table.
-- Mme. Berkeley (pronounced Barkely, you kindly informed me) is in full bloom in my front yard, in shades of salmon, pink and a bit of yellow.
Celsiana' whose shimmering pink petals appear like watered silk to me. I think it may be a perfect pink rose.
Two plants of 'Nastarana' serve as heralds at the front of my fragrance garden, and their sweet Noisette scent wafts on the breeze, so much that a neighbor tells me "I can smell your garden before I see it"
The colorful Pernetiana 'President Herbert Hoover' amazes me with its' deep rich fragrance.

Because you wrote " The Vintage Gardens Book of Roses" I know that Tea is my favorite class of rose, and I can better understand why I love them so because of your chapter on Tea roses.
I never even liked rosebushes, until I saw and read about Old Garden Tea roses. How greatly my life has changed.

I wonder how many millions upon millions of rose blossoms bloom in North America, each year, expanding beauty in all directions along with their fragrance wafting on the air, how many bloom today because of your efforts? Hillsides planted with various Ramblers, de la Grifferaie as a specimen plant in a courtyard garden, ultra fragrant pink Hybrid Perpetuals, and the ancient Centifolias and Albas, of which my friend Luanne mentioned to me "smell this if you want to know what the 1600's smelled like"
Surely the world is more beautiful because you decided one day to learn how to root roses and share them with others.

Though your nursery is closing, I know that rare roses live on, on your property and it gives me a great feeling of satisfaction to remember that in a corner of this earth 'Mrs. Colville' blooms there in spring, and though I have no room for Long John Silver' one of my favorite memories is how that rose, huge in each of its' traits, leaf, cane and blossom, climbs over an entryway, over a path that leads to many other treasures, among them 'The Garland' which I first met in your garden and inhaled its suffused scent, near dozens of Gallica and Hybrid Spinosissima, blooming amid towers of foxglove and twining purple clematis. Your garden fits my idea of Eden in the springtime.

Thanks also to Gita and to all who worked on the property watering and mulching over the years.

My life is blessed and knowing you is a large part of that blessing.

Luxrosa
(Lorene)

Comments (21)