SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
westgate_gw

favourite rose

westgate
16 years ago

Given that we do not have an ideal climate for roses, I was wandering about my garden, checking on them, yesterday. I have only about 12 roses, but both here and in my previous garden, I find that of all, Westerland is by far the best. "Evergreen" (at least, the past few winters), fragrant, disease resistant, very vigorous and beautiful. What more can I say? Are there other "favourites" out there?

Comments (20)

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

One being circulated under the provisional name (given because Darlow had forgotten what he received it as) "Darlow's Enigma" is now comparatively common in gardens here and requires little care. It is small-flowered and can be wickedly armed, producing a network of small twigs with slender curved thorns like fishhooks. It has the fringed stipules and small sweetly scented flowers in conical heads of Rosa multiflora, but with additional petals and produced during the July to October flowering season of R. moschata in this climate. A plant sold in North America as 'Nastarana' is similar but glaucous green instead of yellowish green, apt to die back periodically during hard winters and not building up into a tall arching shrubby bush, pink in bud instead of yellow and somewhat susceptible to blackspot. Despite these differences if the two introductions turned out to be from the same breeding program or even the same cross it would not shock me.

• albertine
    16 years ago

I'm really liking Lady Hillingdon, Souvenir de Pierre Notting, and Etoile de Lyon, all Tea roses. The Tea roses in general have really beautiful very red new foliage, as does Mutabilis, a China rose. Really healthy, repeat blooming and apparently drought resistant once established, large growing, shrubby bushes. Perle d'Or is blooming well and healthy in a woodland position on the north side of the house. Others are Rosa moschata, Julia's Rose, Le Pactole, Clementina Carbonieri, Climbing Crimson Glory, and Cl. Etoile de Holland. The Austins Golden Celebration and Jude the Obscure are hard to beat.

• Related Discussions

What is your least favourite rose fragrance?

Q

Comments (18)
    Ahh, so it's the myrrh scented ones, not the musk ( my bad memory)that smell like Noxema. Would anyone happen to know which chemical(s) it is in the rose that smells like phenol + camphor + menthol + clove oil + eucalyptus (i.e., the volatiles in Noxema)? Just curious - I'm sure that the scent of a rose is mixture of chems, and probably in the same rose from varies from garden to garden. The scent of that vase full of Tiffany has calmed down a bit - it doesn't seem so irritating anymore. I'm glad that I'm enjoying now -I really like the rose. I just ordered SDLM from Vintage - I can't wait to sniff it now! The Damask rose scent sounds intriguing.
    ...See More

Favourite Rose Pictures

Q

Comments (5)
    Those are all wonderful. Marnie, I see you have success with some that I can't grow even though you are in zone 4 also. I've got only a very few "T-roses" still left. I mostly go for the really hardy shrub roses or some of the David Austins do well. Pat Austin give me about 2 blooms per year but still I keep it. Now that I've got hostas moved in among the rose area I figure when a rose goes that it - move over for the hosta invasion!
    ...See More

My favourite red rose

Q

Comments (2)
    It is a pretty one Margaret, there is something about a red rose that is special. But then I could say that about all the roses they are certainly Queen of the flowers. Great Pic ...Cheers...MM.
    ...See More

Presentation - in English ou en Francais

Q

Comments (1)
    Cristina pour avoir des contacts avec les amateurs de roses, il est préférable de se connecter sur le forum de Rosacées et Compagnies, amitiés sparfel
    ...See More
  • scarleta
    16 years ago

Try Sexy Rexy or Easy Going ( Fellowship) Also Savoy Hotel.These are easy.
    My favorite is Golden Jubilee ( unfortunately not easy and its hard to find.)

• boxofrox
    16 years ago

I've now crept over fifty but for both flower and foliage, my favorites are:

Darlowe's Enigma
    Lyda Rose
    Betty Boop
    Flutterbye
    Easy Going
    Livin Easy
    Sunset Celebration

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:23153}}

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

Note that it's spelled Darlow and that it's a study name rather than the original true name of the plant.

• westgate
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It's intriguing how everyone has different choices.... and not one mentions Westerland! But I like the sound of Darlow's Enigma... does anyone have a picture.... is it a climber or a shurb?

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

Yes, 'Westerland' is known to be a good one in this area. "Darlow's Enigma" has a variable habit but tends to be intermediate between climbing and bushy. Some specimens start out twiggy and small-parted, others make longer, thicker canes right from the early stages - perhaps these latter differ by being grafted (if anyone is grafting this variety). An arching almost treelike habit with longer, more climbing-style canes at the top and edges seems typical of specimens farther along in years - good for arches and gazebos - both of which I have seen it used for here.

• boxofrox
    16 years ago

I always intended to get a 'Westerland' but every time I went to buy one, they were out. My guess is that it's because they are in demand. One time I substituted a 'Stairway to Heaven' another time a 'Scent from Above' and recently a 'Blaze of Glory'.

I have a Darlow's trained on a 6' fence. I bought it as a tiny little own root from Heirloom. Last year was year 2. I'll look to see if I have any pics from last summer. This year I'm really expecting it to be awesome.

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

The "Enigma" looks like Rosa multiflora in bloom, which many here I think mistake for blackberry plants - not the same effect as a large-flowered rose.

• azngrnthumbs
    16 years ago

Here's a link to my photo of "Darlow's Enigma", a truly spectacular rose in bloom and so sweetly scented.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

At a garden consultation today I asked the client what the new rose was near the front door.

"'Westerland'".

• hemnancy
    16 years ago

Zepherine Drouhin has been the star of my garden, first and last to bloom, never without flowers. She's also thornless, which is nice for a climber.

Distant Drums has very unusual coloration, Neyron rose petals with a center that is a buff color, and myrrh fragrance which to me is like anise or licorice. It has a long bloom season.

Betty Boop also has a long bloom season and the flowers slowly fade so there are different shades on the same plant.

Baby Blanket, a groundcover rose that is arching, is usually covered with flowers.

Champney's Pink Cluster is usually covered in little pink flowers, a climber.

Once-bloomers with spectacular bloom in spring- Leda Rose, Rosa Mundi, Belle de Crecy, Tuscany Superb.

• buzzy
    16 years ago

Fragrance, anyone? Are any of these fragrant?

My nose is what counts the most to me - I have something called Elegant Gallica from vintage roses which lifts me off my feet. My Pat Austin doesn't have any fragrance at all.

Anybody have Austin rose fragrant favorites?

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    16 years ago

Of the David Austin roses I have I think Abraham Darby is the most fragrant followed by Glamis Castle, Shirifa Asma, Gertrude Jekyll ( this one 's thorns will keep lions out of african villages), William Shakespeare 2000, Graham Thomas, Constance Spry and the Mayor of Cssterbridge (very light scent but not too thorny) in that order. One thing to keep in mind everybody's sense of smell may be different.

A......

• pacnwgrdngirl
    16 years ago

I have lots of roses....

I am so glad I got two Darlow's Enigmas! I got them last year from Heirloom Roses. They are own-root and I've got them on the edge of our trees to climb away.

Nobody's mentioned the polyanthas, they do great here! I have CL Cecile Brunner, Marie Pavie, Pink Pet, Red Fairy and Perle d'Or. Very sweet roses.

I have a new Westerland from last year planted. As for the Austins that do well, I have Chianti, Flastaff( VERY Fragrant) Jude the Obscure, Abraham Darby and Graham Thomas.

The Vice President of the Tacoma Rose Society has given a lot of praise for the newer white hybrid tea Pope John Paul II. He said it does very well here! It is very beautiful and is supposed to have an amazing fragrance. I have the hybrid tea Ebb Tide. Wonderful! Dark purple with an incredibly strong frgarance. My favorite!

• jennie
    16 years ago

Buzzy,my Tuscany Superb has a nice smell to it. Not as strong as some, but definitely there. I love its color too.

• mae.nov
    16 years ago

My favourite smelling rose is a David Austin rose, Evelyn named for Crabtree and Evelyn, its gorgeous to boot.The colour is a beautiful peach with hints of pink and yellow.

• jennie
    16 years ago

I noticed a climbing Westerland for 14.99 at Clear Creek Nursery near Silverdale today. Just in case people were looking.

• boxofrox
    16 years ago

The fragrance of Abraham Darby is divine, like fine perfume. Because of AB, I've added The Dark Lady, LD Braithwaite, Wm. Shakespeare 2000, The Prince, and Gertrude Jekyl.

One rose that seldom ever gets mentioned for fragrance is Outrageous. Last year, twice a week I would cut a huge mixed bouquet for my wife and have it waiting as a centerpiece on her dining room table when she got home from work. Even if there was only one Outrageous bloom amongst 20 or so, even with half a dozen AB's, I could still smell it. The shrub itself is not all that but the fragrance of the rose is exceptional, at least to my discerning probiscus ;-)

• tallclover
    16 years ago

Favorite climber: Madame Alfred Carriere
    Favorite rambler: Francios Juranville
    Favorite frangrant: Abraham Darby, Golden Celebration, Evelyn, Madame Alfred Carriere
    Favorite Hybrid Tea: Jardin de Bagetelle