SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
claireplymouth

Hummingbird Spring Migration 2009

Alright, I know it's WAY WAY too early to see hummingbirds in New England, but the birds are being reported in the deep south packing their bags ready to fly north.

Hopefully, this map from hummingbirds.net will keep updating itself like it did last year.

Now if we just had a map like this for the herrings....

Claire

Comments (75)

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I got a new shepherd's crook for the hummer feeder and moved the goldfinch/siskin feeder/crook to another spot. I refilled the feeder today just in case it was going bad. Five shepherd crooks now in the yard; they're becoming a major landscape feature.

Here is a new map: the Weather Channel's Forecast Winds for the Northeast Coast that might explain the slow arrival. Looks like the birds have strong winds in their little faces - not good flying weather.

I also bought an oriole feeder that I haven't put out yet. Last year the orioles arrived at about the time as the hummers.

Claire

• sooey
    15 years ago

Hi Kids,

Yes, Claire, I remember last years arrivals the same. In my yard, the orioles and the hummers arrived on the same day. Well, at least I saw them for the first time last year, on the same day. I also remember that the migration map showed hummers north of Boston a week or more before I saw them at my feeders on the Cape. Bridge traffic?

sooey
    who needs to dig out her oriole feeder...hummm...which pile do I look in?

• Related Discussions

Hummingbird Spring Migration 2011

Q

Comments (51)
    Ah, that's dedication, pixie_lou, keeping a feeder filled for at least two months without seeing a hummer! I hope the logjam is over and they'll be regulars for you for the rest of the season. I'm glad your daughter got to see it. Here there was a long lull, probably busy nesting, but there's a respectable amount of traffic now with lots of territorial dogfights (birdfights?) Today a chickadee explored one of the hummer feeders and then actually perched on the top of my computer screen for a very short time. It's the first time a chickadee ever looked huge to me, at least compared to a hummingbird. Claire
    ...See More

Hummingbird Spring Migration 2015

Q

Comments (177)
    pd728: I would (and I will) leave the feeders up until at least the end of September, and probably until close to frost. I'm still seeing hummers but when that's rare I'll take in the feeder from the deck and leave the feeder up in the front yard. The deck feeder will come in because the raccoons empty it every night and I have to refill it every morning. The front yard feeder only needs to be refilled every four or five days, depending on the weather. Claire edit note: I just saw this site The amazing tongue of the hummingbird
    ...See More

Hummingbird Spring Migration 2017

Q

Comments (203)
    Another hummer this morning. Since corunum AKA Jane discovered that links to videos were still being posted while jpg pics were not, I took a video - you can see the urgency with which she fills up with the nectar solution. The migrants are still coming through the pipeline - a good reason to keep feeders up. Claire (sounding like a broken record)
    ...See More

Hummingbird Spring Migration 2018

Q

Comments (188)
    I would leave all, or most, of the feeders up for a little longer since you'll still be getting migrants coming through from north of you. Better to have too many feeders than too few. Even if you don't see hummers for a few days there will probably be stragglers, maybe juveniles that aren't sure what they're doing and really could use the food. When I get migrants I seem to see them mostly in the late afternoon when they stop for the night, and then again the next morning when they fuel up for the day's journey. Please keep at least one feeder up until the end of September, maybe later. A few years ago I got a hummer visiting in late October. Luckily I'd kept one feeder there. Claire
    ...See More
    Original Author
    15 years ago

sooey:

I doubt if bridge traffic is an issue for both Plymouth and Brewster - one of the advantages of Plymouth is that you don't have to cross a bridge to get here.

Besides, with the new Sagamore fly-over the traffic is much reduced, particularly for fliers!

I'm wondering though about the Cape Wind project.... you know how rumors are, any project gets bigger and bigger and nastier and nastier - the hummers may have heard about the wind turbines and by now they believe the whole SE MA coast is covered with killer sharp blades! No wonder they stay inland as long as possible.

Perhaps we need some good PR that emphasizes that it's safe to come here.....

Claire (who's hoping the little birds are staying warm and drinking hot chocolate on a very unpleasant cold day)

• sooey
    15 years ago

It's been a wet and raw day on the Cape. I have watched my feeder diligently...nothing.

If we knew exactly where on the south shore they were spotted, we could make up some maps...

sooey

• sooey
    15 years ago

April 16th. The map shows the Hummers are in southern NH but, still nothing at my feeders on the Cape.

sooey

Original Author
    15 years ago

Friday the 17th is supposed to be warm with good west to southwest winds - fine traveling weather, and I've seen some little flying bug tidbits.

The feeder is getting dusty.

Claire

• silvergirl426_gw
    15 years ago

I will be breaking out my feeders this weekend in northernCT. Sooey and Claire and evonne, maybe you remember from last year when the hummers came.... I only got a wandering bear in late April, who pulled the sugar water off the shepherd's crook. Hummers followed in mid-May. But I'm going to put my motto into practice on this first true-warm day of the spring: If you hang it, they will come! Happy Spring (at last!)
    lucia

• spedigrees z4VT
    15 years ago

Same here Lucia, I set out my feeders last night, even though I'm not really expecting the little birds until May. Hubby felt that we needed a new feeder to replace our old faded one that is missing one of the flower-feeders, so he brought a new one home. I'll probably change the nectar a few times before the hummers actually show up. We're eagerly anticipating their arrival!

Original Author
    15 years ago

Maine!!! (sob, whimper) They can get up to Maine but they can't handle the southeast MA coast?

Well, at least they're not in Canada yet.

Claire, feeling rather disgruntled.

• spedigrees z4VT
    15 years ago

They're in Vermont but on the opposite side of the state from us. We keep checking the feeders but no customers yet. Go west little hummers! Lunch awaits!

• silvergirl426_gw
    15 years ago

Pls come -- we're waiting!
    lucia

Original Author
    15 years ago

EEEEEKKKK!!!!

I was just posting on another thread when I glanced out the window and saw a male Ruby-throated Hummingbird at the feeder. Luckily I had my camera next to me and I got some photos.

Gotta go put the oriole feeder out in case they're here too.

Claire

• silvergirl426_gw
    15 years ago

YAY for you! I'm so JEALOUS. Come to my house, little hummers -- I'm waiting.
    lucia

Original Author
    15 years ago

I'd been thinking that they might arrive when the azaleas started blooming - following the trail of azaleas/rhododendrons. This morning I noticed my Mary Fleming rhododendron had started opening its flowers, and there have been azaleas in bloom for about a week just a little inland from here on the coast.

Last year I saw the first hummer on May 7 - this is about ten days earlier.

Claire

• sooey
    15 years ago

Claire...LUCKY YOU ! Still nothing here on the Cape. I put out fresh sugar water each day. Soon, very soon... Any orioles?

sooey

Original Author
    15 years ago

sooey: I haven't seen the hummer today - I feel as if I had just applied for a great job and I'm afraid I blew the interview. Didn't he like my yard? Not enough flowers and bugs yet? Maybe this was just a truck stop and he's headed your way.

First oriole today! It landed on the hummingbird feeder then moved on to the suet, completely ignoring the oriole feeder which had sugar solution in it. After I saw the oriole I poured in the grape slurpee mixture recommended in my feeder manual. No takers yet.

I hope this early contingent of birds isn't a fickle lot; always looking for a better neighborhood or a more trendy yard.

I also saw the first Gray Catbird today.

Claire

• spedigrees z4VT
    15 years ago

Beautiful shots, Claire! Still no hummers here. I've changed the mixture twice, and we keep watching for them. According to the map they are all the way north of us in St Albans, VT, yet we seem to have been bypassed.

• sooey
    15 years ago

Yikes, spedigrees...I feel your frustration! Still no action at my feeders as of this morning. Same with the orioles...nothing. I did make note of the weather forcast for over night tonight...winds out of the south. That might be what we need here on the Cape. But, I seem to remember that last year I had them in my yard a few days ahead of Claire. Hummm...did I do something wrong? Do they keep notes from year to year? Oh Crap...I'll bet those little hummers have been blogging! Now what...

Great pics, Claire...

sooey

Original Author
    15 years ago

I haven't seen any hummers or orioles since I took those photos. Maybe this was just a fluke, tourists, and the serious residents haven't come up yet. Or maybe they decided it was too hot here.

I now have fresh hummingbird nectar and an oriole feeder filled with grape slurpee with an orange slice on top. I'm back into watch and wait mode.

Claire

• sooey
    15 years ago

Gosh, Claire...we think alike. I now have my oriole feeder filled and in place. One for the hummers and one for the orioles. The only thing I'm missing is a fresh orange.

I also did a search on our Hummingbird Spring Migration 2008 and found that last year I saw my first hummer on May 7th. Not much longer to wait...

sooey
    still tapping foot...

• spedigrees z4VT
    15 years ago

I think the early bird you photographed, Claire, must have been one of the Canadian hummers just passing through, as you said. Nice that he had a meal in flight at your house.

The far northern hummingbirds come through here briefly on their southward fall migration, after our "regular" birds have flown, but I've never noticed them going through northward in the spring. But then I haven't been looking other years before may. Perhaps one or more might have grabbed a quick sip on my porch too on their way to Canada, when we weren't looking. I'm wondering if many of the reported sightings may be these birds en route to northernmost regions.

I've never really noticed hummingbirds here before May, but maybe now that I've become better organized and put my feeders out in April, perhaps they will take notice and come earlier in future. Well one never knows! I'm tapping my foot too, Sooey, lol.

Do you all get flocks of the rufus hummingbirds too?

I planted climbing nasturtiums in a hanging pot on the porch near the feeders this year. I wonder if they ever feed from nasturtiums. They used to feed from the petunias when I grew those one year.

Original Author
    15 years ago

spedigrees: I like that thought, that it was a Canadian hummer en route to his birthplace, not a snotty local hummer rejecting my yard. This way I can see myself as a volunteer on the side of a race track, handing out water bottles and energy drinks to the racers.

Do you get Rufous Hummingbirds in Vermont?? I thought we only got Ruby-throats in New England, except on very rare occasions.

Claire

• sooey
    15 years ago

Hi Kids!!!

BINGO! I saw my first hummer this morning! It was fleeting at best but, a hummer it was! Now I'm wondering if it was infact, a transient. S/he did not like the sugar water in the hummer feeder..hardly even took a sip, but lingered at the oriole feeder. Same sugar water, better feeder? Today I will refill with fresh and wait to see what happens. Transient or not, I'm ready for them.

sooey
    who will now relax a bit re: the hummer issue...or will she?

Original Author
    15 years ago

Great, sooey! I hope you manage a possible departure better than I did - or better, yet, I hope the hummer stays with you.

I haven't seen any more hummers, but the orioles seem to be staying around, at least one pair. A male last Tuesday on the suet, and a female today eating the orange slice. I don't know if she tried the grape slurpee inside the feeder.

Claire

• spedigrees z4VT
    15 years ago

Hi Claire, yes we get many more rufus hummingbirds than ruby-throated.

I'm envious Sooey! I hope the hummers will find me eventually too!

• sooey
    15 years ago

Hi Kids,

The hummer came back for more yesterday, but I have not seen him/her yet today. Still no orioles.

sooey

Original Author
    15 years ago

I saw another hummer (I guess it was a different one) very quickly yesterday. I was charging out of the house with a new orange slice for the oriole feeder and the hummer took off. I probably scared it away to Canada - I didn't see it today.

The orioles are still here, and the male drank some grape slurpee today.

Claire

Original Author
    15 years ago

I've now seen a male hummer three days in a row, starting on May 3, so this one may be settled in for the summer. I'll be more confident when the females arrive - should be soon.

The orioles are here every day, eating oranges and drinking grape slurpee.
    A male and a female were on the same feeder for a very short time, but usually there's only one bird at a time.

I set up a second oriole feeder (orange slice only) to accommodate more orioles. That's a grackle flying by. There always seems to be grackles flying by nowadays.

Claire (waiting for a female hummer)

• sooey
    14 years ago

claire...looks like the orioles like your set up. Very nice. Still no orioles here in Brewster.

sooey

• spedigrees z4VT
    14 years ago

My neighbor across the road put her hummingbird feeder out on her porch yesterday. Usually I follow her lead figuring she knows when the little birds are set to arrive. But.. nothing, and I mean nothing! Not a hummer in sight anywhere, unless they are feeding when I'm not looking. I've been scrupulously changing the nectar and making new regularly, but no birds...

Of course in fairness I've never put my feeder out before mid-May in the past. Maybe my reputation proceeds me.

Original Author
    14 years ago

I opened the refrigerator today to get something to eat, and I saw a big bottle of hummingbird nectar, a jar of grape slurpee for the orioles, a jar of concentrated sugar solution for making nectar, a baggie filled with orange slices, and a stack of suet cakes. And I won't even get near the assorted packages of bird seed in various spots, both inside and out.

Maybe this has gotten out of hand?

Claire (who sees no reason to stop)

• spedigrees z4VT
    14 years ago

Well the barn swallows have begun flitting through the porch, sizing up last year's nest for needed repairs/remodelling to make it fit for habitation again. I hope they'll be successful in raising another brood as in past years.

But not a hummingbird in sight! sigh.

The swallows share the porch with the hummingbirds willingly enough until the little swallows near fledging day. Then they dive bomb the hummers and anything else that dares enter their porch (including us and the cat) until the young ones have found their wings.

I'm delighted to see the return of "our" swallows, but where oh where are "our" hummingbirds?

LOL Claire! That's why I've never gotten into feeding the orioles, although we do have them here. Not enough room in the fridge!

Original Author
    14 years ago

Delightful photo of the barn swallow babies! The nest looks as if it would withstand a hurricane.

Claire

• spedigrees z4VT
    14 years ago

Oh finally we have hummingbirds again! Oh joy! It was nearing nightfall but we saw them through the livingroom window feeding first at one feeder, then the other. One of our swallows was perched on the ledge, probably planning to spend the night there. And the peepers are still singing too! Spring has finally come to my neck of the woods!

I didn't see for sure if the new visitor was a ruby throated or a rufus variety. The light wasn't good enough. I don't care though, they're both welcome!

Thanks Claire, the swallow nests generally make it through the winter storms but they do need repairs by spring. They are quite amazing builders! The bird family makes an awful mess of the porch, but it's worth it to have them here. The steps and railings can do with an annual washing with chlorox anyways, after the birds leave the nest. I love to see them swooping over the meadow skimming bugs from the air.

And thanks again for posting the map. :-) It's been so great watching the hummingbirds' journey.

• shellb
    14 years ago

THEY ARE HERE! THEY ARE HERE! Saw my first one of the season about an hour ago.........I am in central Mass near the NH border.

• barefootinct
    14 years ago

I just saw my first one of the season. YAYAYAYAYAYAYAY! I thought they had passed me by this year. I'm ridiculously happy!

Original Author
    14 years ago

Congratulations, shellb and barefootinct!! They say all good things come to those who wait, and once in a while it's actually true!

Claire

Original Author
    14 years ago

And congratulations to spedigrees too! Please let us know if they're ruby-throats or rufous.

Claire

• arbo_retum
    14 years ago

Hooked on Hummingbirds is an excellent dvd, available through the Minuteman Library Network in Mass. or ask your reference librarian to get you an Inter Library Loan (ILL). We watched it last month after we returned from a hummingbird filled vacation in northern coastal cal.

best,
    mindy

Original Author
    14 years ago

Finally saw a female ruby-throat, the first this year. She appeared a week after the first male who seemed to be claiming my yard as his territory.

The time frame this year seems to be:

First a few males passed through on their way further north, grabbing food on the fly.

Then a male decided he likes the neighborhood, maybe he was born here, and he settled in waiting for a female to impress.

Finally a female showed up - hopefully to stay and nest here.

So far I've only seen one hummingbird at a time, so I don't know how many are really here.

Anybody else seen females?

Claire

• silvergirl426_gw
    14 years ago

Finally!
    My guy appeared on Saturday morning. About a week earlier than last year. The map shows the hummingbirds way north of me, but I'm in the icebox of CT. He was the first one to the feeder -- the one near the house. It comes complete with delicious drowned ants. During the week, when I'm not there, I usually take down my feeder near the back woods because a crafty raccoon can get up on the stone wall and pull in down. This hummer zoomed right in, took a sip, then dropped down to get nectar from the little purple ajuga flowers beneath it. Yesterday was way to windy for the little darlings to be out, sugar water or no. I'm sooooo happy. I'm assuming this guy is the same one who graces my property every year. Whopee!
    lucia

• shellb
    14 years ago

The first sighting on Friday was a male. Then lo and behold even with the wind yesterday we saw our first female.

• terrene
    14 years ago

First hummingbird sighting this morning!! It was in back, nectaring on the Dicentra eximia. I don't know if it was male or female, it was backlit and only there for a few seconds. I don't have any hummingbird feeders, so they have to make do with the plantings.

A pair of Orioles showed up 3-4 days ago. They mostly hang out high in the canopy trees, and they LOVE the Silver maples. Also saw the male in one of the Crabapples the other day.

• silvergirl426_gw
    14 years ago

Oh Terrene, do set up a hummingbird feeder. I have a garden full of flowers the hummingbirds love -- coming into bloom at different times during the summer (Who knew they liked ajuga?). But they ALWAYS hit the feeders (3) as well.My motto is: IF YOU HANG IT, THEY WILL COME (with thanks to Field of Dreams).
    lucia

• spedigrees z4VT
    14 years ago

Well finally after days of frustration trying to get a shot of my elusive little birdies, I got this single shot. Not very good lighting; they seem to like to feed late in the day. They are quick little buggers and not so tame as the rufus hummers, which I'm guessing come later. This looks like a male ruby throated hummingbird. Am I correct? It's so nice to have them flitting about again. And the swallows are building nests again, or I should say re-building the old nests.

{{gwi:1062727}}

Original Author
    14 years ago

Nice shot of a male ruby-throat in the dusk. My hummers also seem to take a rest late in the day - you can almost see them sipping their drink, putting their feet up, and surveying the food court before heading off to bed.

Claire

• chrissssss
    14 years ago

I have my feeders out but no hummers - I usually have them by now :( I have seen some orioles though and think I will try the orange and the grape thing - what exactly is that? I am in Maryland near the Chesapeake Bay - I get worried when I don't see them!
    Chris

• terrene
    14 years ago

I've seen a hummer a couple or 3 times this year so far - on the Dicentra and Heuchera. But that should change soon and they will be coming to the Hummingbird garden daily. There are huge patches of Monarda didyma and 'Raspberry Wine' getting ready to bloom. M. didyma, the regular red Bee Balm is one of their top favorite plants in my gardens. :)

The Monarda must love the weather because it has grown GINORMOUS and has tons of blooms!

Original Author
    14 years ago

My hummers disappeared for a while, presumably nesting and concentrating on insects for the babies, although they may also have been nectaring on the rhododendron mountains up the street. Now they're back, and I see them every day at the feeder.

They don't stay at the feeder for long, they just take a few sips and zip off to the flowers. The meadow phlox are blooming now and the hummers love them.

Re orioles: There are myriad ways of feeding oranges and jelly; you can buy fancy feeders but they're not necessary. One easy way is to hang an orange half from a hook, or impale it on a stick. The bird will eat out the orange flesh, then you can fill the empty rind with grape or other jelly. You can also put jelly in a bowl on a deck railing. I've put orange slices in a wire suet feeder and the orioles were happy.

Catbirds like the oranges and jelly too.

I have photos of different methods I've tried, but I'm hesitant to slow up this thread.

Claire

• chrissssss
    14 years ago

Thank you :)I am going to try the oranges in a suet feeder for the orioles.