SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bonechickchris

Any Opinions w/ Planting Hostas under a CedarTree?

bonechickchris
12 years ago

Hi everyone!

I have had to take apart one of my hosta beds. This bed used to get nice half-shade. But with all of the unusual blizzards we had here on the East Coast last winter, we lost several trees.

So now my nice part shade hosta bed, is now full sun all morning and part afternoon! Most of my hostas in that bed are partly fried, the poor things.

So I have been trying to think of where I can create another bed. I have this rather huge, old cedar tree that has nice shade under it, from full shade to part shade. Was thinking a nice large circular bed would be really nice.

Now being on the lake, my soil is rocking and sandy, so it will be a raised bed. However, I am wondering if cedar would have any ill effects on the hostas?

They would not be in competition with the tree itself at all since it will be a raised bed, plus I plant most of my hostas in large pots before putting them in the ground for extra protection. But it is the leaves/needles that fall that I am wondering would affect them.

I have seen people plant hostas with evergreens, so I would hope that a cedar would not be bad. If anything, I think it would maybe make the soil a slightly higher PH.

Have any of you had any experience with hostas around cedar trees?

Thanks for reading and the help! Christy

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting