SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hey_j

Go w/your gut feeling--no more ebay hosta w/cut leaves for me!

Janice
15 years ago

Some may remember that I was upset about an ebay auction that I won for 'Golden Tiara' ('06)! I had requested that

the seller NOT CUT THE LEAVES OFF--no matter how badly they looked. It was, afterall, August and I know

they can look bad and still be healthy!

She resisted--told me "just plant it and it will have a better beginning with the leaves cut off"!

I said, "No--I prefer them not cut!" She responded (not so friendly wording) that she would comply but,

I am making a big mistake! Boy was she right--but not about that!!!

Sure enough, they arrived with seven leaves precisely cut at the ends. It was strange because the others

were left but those few were cut.

I left her a neutral feedback, stating that she had not done what she had agreed to do. She responded

with "There's one in every crowd--don't come back"! BTW, that is the only negative comment I've ever

received on ebay!! And the only comment I've ever left that was less than positive!

So--I did the heat treatment for 'nematodes' just in case because the win was in late August. I set the 'Golden

Tiara' aside all winter--watched all last year ('07) and finally planted it late last year, when I felt secure it

was neither HVX or nematode invaded.

Well--guess what? The ONLY hosta in my garden to display nematode symptoms, this year so far, is that one

and I've confirmed it with the 10x jewelers loop--it is infested.

This hosta is planted in the new area around the newly placed octagonal deck in the middle of our upper yard!!

It is isolated from any other bed in my yard!

So--I will NOT accept hosta that has cut leaves--ANYMORE! I would only deal with those you trust to do that, if they

insist that is the only way they will send them to you and I would make sure BEFORE you place your bid!

If they send them cut anyway--toss them--JMO--and leave feedback to indicate they did not comply to your request

not to cut the leaves! It's just not worth the risk to me!

BTW--at the point I bid on her hosta, she had a 99.7% rating so I took a chance and preferred not to leave a negative,

just in case I was wrong to be suspicious!

Sigh--big sigh--and not a longing or contented 'sigh', as is my usual--SIGH!!!!!!

Comments (44)

• talynnp
    15 years ago

I'm sorry this happened to you. Why do people try to make money and make other people miserable????? I need to know who this is, I have been buying some off of e-bay also. Lots from "cookie man" but from others too.

Thanks, Tanya

• Janice
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Tanya--email me--I'll give you the information! Not sure she's still 'at it' but I do have
    her I.D.--at the time!

• Related Discussions

Why are they bidding this hosta up on eBay?

Q

Comments (21)
    I just Googled Frosted Mouse Ears, and see that one place has Royal Mouse Ears, Frosted Mouse Ears, and another new one, Holy Mouse Ears. Gorgeous pictures. They also have Green Mouse Ears, which a number of other places also have. Looks like they are the supreme "mouse finders." Nature's Reign is the name of the site, very sorry to say they apparently aren't ready for sale yet. ~Bunnycat
    ...See More

Cutting down island w/ cooktop to counter-height - safety concerns?

Q

Comments (18)
    You can most likely repurpose what's there, with a few fillers. (Just need to inventory cabinet sizes, etc.) Refrigerators are the least used of the main kitchen appliances dring actual food prep. Locating them on the perimeter out of the way of the main zone between sink and cooking allows them to serve dual usage as anchors of snack zones accessible to those not underfoot of the cook. It keeps people out of your hair. Yet, it's just steps from the island. Truem the island woud work better with a prep sink on it, but if you're on slab, that wouldn't be easy as it would with a crawlspace.
    ...See More

Polling---1-Shave Head Now v Wait and 2-Wig v Headwrap w or w/o Hat

Q

Comments (38)
    I think you should shave it off now. I know that sounds harsh but, this way, you have the control. Two of my sisters had cancer and both asked me to shave them at my salon which I did. They were relieved to be able to forget about it and go on to the next step. Both of them got Raquel Welch wigs which are the most realistic to the point that people asked them where they got their haircuts. I wish you didn't have cancer but I'm happy you can speak about it and share. It's so important. Both of them are living happy lives and you will do the same. We took joke books to chemo and laughed so much, both had the other four sisters for support and love. I wish you the very best that life can offer.
    ...See More

Hosta W 2020 .......................

Q

Comments (38)
    Yep, now I don't need Niagara Falls. I think it will look good next to Bridal Falls. And I only added another 12 Hostas to the War Paint order including Guardian Angel which I think is also in your photo. It was easy since 8 of them were $10 or less and 6 of them are small, so hopefully I can shoe horn them in somewhere (or grow them in pots).
    ...See More
  • esther_opal
    15 years ago

I think you could have seen the nematodes even with leaves cut off?

Who knows?

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

Hey_J, I am so sorry that you had to deal with that. I am very frustrated by sellers like that.

I sold some plants on ebay last summer, clearing out an old bed of some plants I didn't want or had too much of. I always stated how the plants would be shipped in detail and always encouraged the buyer to ask questions. I also took special requests and honored them.

This person should not have ever listed plants that were sick. That is inexcusable. It is one thing to make a mistake and send something that the problem wasn't known about but to cut off the leaves and ship it in a condition that was expressly against your wishes in an attempt to camouflage the infestation was just plain wrong. I'm glad you left her less than positive feedback.

One thing that I had found before ebay changed their fb scoring was that if a seller had 99.7 as their score then that usually meant they were pretty bad if they had a lot of sales. Now sellers can no longer reply with negative feedback for the buyer. The policy isn't my favorite but does keep the dishonest seller in check.

Have you entered that seller in the GW Vendor Review Forum? I think it would be a smart thing to do. They are publicly selling their plants and should be subject to scrutiny by informed customers. IMHO.

Tracy

• just1morehosta
    15 years ago

hey j,

would you mind e mailing me the info also, i just bought some from ebay,with the leaves cut off.
    I have never bought hosta from ebay before this year,i hope i didn't get taken.

I was pretty upset with one i bought, the seller said it would be taken from a small pot and mailed bare root, that was fine,BUT,what he did not say, was that it was a liner!And i paid a prett good price for it.It honestly fit in a medicen bottle.

My e mail is listed in my page.Thank you, and sorry about your little hosta,what will you do now?
    Man, from HVX to Nemitodes, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr,,madining!

Carol

• sassy7142
    15 years ago

Janice.....I REALLY feel your pain.

I check my hostas daily, so far the Merit has worked.
    It's early yet though.

If Oscar, from Hilltop was right about the Merit granulars, I'm sending him a gift certificate to some nice resturant.
    Or maybe send him a big order for more hostas.

• just1morehosta
    15 years ago

Hey Sassy,

For us nebies,what is Merit, and what do you use it for?

Carol

• esther_opal
    15 years ago

I mentioned on another thread that my sons are attorneys so I want address a legal principle.

"Speaking to facts not in evidence."

I know or choose to believe the witness that the e-bay seller cut off the leaves against their wishes, and was rude on the phone or email.

We know the plant has nematodes.

We do not know that she knew the plant had nematodes or that she concealed anything. The first 2 things are enough to not buy from her again and the belief that she knew cast a shadow but we don't "know" her intent.

I go through this because a place like GW and the internet can be a very dangerous place.

One dog barks cat and all the dogs start chasing a skunk that looks like a cat.

My wife often tells me "we can't stamp out evil, we can only promote good", I believe her so I offer lifting up the good suppliers you know. And use great caution accusing someone of "intent" unsupported by evidence.

Last year a lady was accused of selling plants with HVX because she had a photo of a plant that appeared to have HVX on her website. I called her to learn it was not even her photo or a photo of her plants and HVX cannot be confirmed from looking at a photo.

• regattagirl
    15 years ago

EO...I see what you are saying....that there's no way to prove the seller knew the GT had cooties. She might have known but it's possible she didn't.

Personally, I'd not deal with the ebay seller in question because she was rude to my precious hey-j and shipped the goods in a manner that was hey-j specifically requested NOT to happen.

I think we need to rememeber "buyer beware" prevails online...and really everywhere...even with hosta people.

Do you think it's fortunate or unnfortunate that we get spoiled dealing with most hosta people that are so nice?

And yes, we may be chasing a skunk, but I'd rather like to think we can learn as much as we can from others. We are here to help each other learn both the pitfalls and joys of growing hosta.

Last night at the movie (Dark Knight) Batman said he likes to learn from his mistakes and his butler said then he should be really smart by now.

• Janice
    Original Author
    15 years ago

re: "Batman said he likes to learn from his mistakes and his butler said then he should be really smart by now."

Oh man--what happened with me then! LOL I've sure made my share--and perhaps another one, would be to reveal the name of this person.
    I honestly feel, she knew she was concealing something! Her attitude--was not friendly! She DID NOT LIKE IT that I wanted the leaves not cut
    and made that clear--saying it was her habit to do that!

I wish I had thought to check for nematodes before I heat treated the hosta! I guess I thought you had to have a leaf with specific lining to see them.

Hmmm--however--there is no reason for them to be there this year---not near any area where I had a couple of incidences of the nems from other hosta!

Oh well--I guess if anything 'good' can come from this thread--it is to make you aware of the possibilities and the fact that I would not encourage buying from anyone you are not sure of, and no one, who will not honor your request to not cut the leaves. I even offered to pay extra shipping if that was the concern. Of course, she did not take me up on that--and did not comply to what she had agreed to do!!

I hate feeling this way!! I am normally a very trusting person--and I hate it, when I find out my 'intuition' was right and I should have refused to accept them--since she failed to do what she promised!

I think I'll see if she's still 'selling'!

• Janice
    Original Author
    15 years ago

She is and her rating is very good! I'm not revealing her name!!! But--I just don't understand her attitude toward me
    when I requested she not cut the leaves and her refusal to honor her word when she agreed not to! Oh, well!!!

• esther_opal
    15 years ago

"And yes, we may be chasing a skunk, but I'd rather like to think we can learn as much as we can from others. We are here to help each other learn both the pitfalls and joys of growing hosta."
    regattagirl

Yes, you do get it and I'm only suggesting if we speak to what we know and be clear about what we think without proof and separate the two then we will learn without hurting anyone in the process.

I dealt with a lady who was quite rude and hung up on me for reasons not clear to me so I won't deal with her again.

• esther_opal
    15 years ago

"Hmmm--however--there is no reason for them to be there this year---not near any area where I had a couple of incidences of the nems from other hosta!"

I'm sure they were there and I would guess they came that way, did she know it is my question. Yes, she should have if they were of course that depends on her source.

Does anyone know if one could cut a piece of cut-off leaf and see them.

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

What happened here with hey_j's hosta could have been completely avoided if the seller had completed the transaction as agreed upon. If the leaves had been left on then hey_j would have been able to inspect the plant to her satisfaction. If it was infected at the time then she would have emailed the seller and possibly sent the plant back for a refund or replacement or whatever the seller offered and hey_j agreed to settle any dispute.

Secondly, no we can not decisively state that the plant was infested when it was shipped so if any review of the situation would be posted then it should be stated that the seller did not ship the plants in the agreed upon manner and didn't respond to emails with courtesy or make an attempt to resolve the situation amicably.

Unfortunately, any attempt to resolve the concerns were met with rudeness. Never a good way to complete a transaction.

Any time a customer has come to me with an issue I have done my best to rectify the situation to our mutual benefit and or satisfaction. I handle all communication with courtesy and respect knowing that the other person is unhappy with my performance for some reason. It is my job to get to the heart of the issue and settle the matter. It doesn't always work out to my advantage, I may have to offer a partial refund, replace an item at my expense, etc. I may think the customer is dead wrong but I may have to make a sacrifice to maintain my reputation. But I do know, that in the end, that customer is happy with their experience in dealing with me and will tell their friends of the issues and how I resolved it to make it a positive transaction. Their friends may come looking for me when they need a similar item or service that I can provide for them.

• Janice
    Original Author
    15 years ago

My impression, was that this person was selling from her own gardens. She sells all kinds of perennials!

I'm going to test a leaf--that shows no evidence and let you know--I still have the hosta, sitting in a
    card-board box, way up under our deck cover, near the patio door--clear of any other hosta now! Poor thing!!!

I've subsequently done, what I've done in the other very few instances of discovering them on a hosta---I've poured boiling
    water all in the remaining hole and a good six inches or more out around the remaining hole! Poor micro-organisms
    and worms!!

BTW--thank you all, for your kind condolences! :o( Whaaa!

• Janice
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Man, Tracy---where were you when I was looking to get some hosta from ebay!! You're wonderful!!!!

I've won a few on ebay--and this is the only one, that has had such problems!
    My fear, is that there are those newbie enthusiasts, who may very well be happy
    with their acquisition TODAY--but--in two years, when they find they have an infestation
    of nematodes--they may not recall the source of the hosta or the beginning source of the nematodes
    since they can travel through watering and rain!!!

If it were not for THIS FORUM, I would not even know that there are foliar nematodes
    that are very much not wanted in most people's gardens, or how to confirm their presence!

So--how many are buying--unaware of a problem!

• regattagirl
    15 years ago

From Ohio State, super info on nemo-toad cooties!

Has interesting recomendations for watering technique, mulching etc. to wage combat.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stop Hosting Foliar Nematodes on Your Hostas

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

lol, not selling hosta that is for sure. Iris, yes, planters, yes, antiques, yes, hosta? Nope! I just keep buying them. lol!

• Janice
    Original Author
    15 years ago

lol--tracy!! You're one of 'us' for sure!!!!

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

hush! Don't tell anyone in the clematis forum, they all think I am one of them!

• regattagirl
    15 years ago

There's a celmatis forum....?

• Janice
    Original Author
    15 years ago

What's a clematis? hehehe

• talynnp
    15 years ago

Janice, I just got 4 new hostas today, and the leaves on this one look a little weird?!?!? I'm not exactly sure what nema-cooties look like, so I thought I'd let you take a look.

Sorry about the fuzzies.....

Tanya

• scootersbear
    15 years ago

If they listed in the listing they cut off the leafs before shipping and you bid then you accepted those terms regardless of agreements afterwards. Even then you said it still had some leafs left on them. Being Aug. more than likely she took off the ugly leafs not knowing it had the cooties because if 1 leaf has them they usually all do so you received the plant with some leafs and didn't see any cooties. Waited a year din't see any cooties..Not to sound mean, just honest from what I'm reading I'd have to side with the seller

• Janice
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Tanya--those do not have the characteristic symptoms that are very identifiable as 'suspicious'!! Whew!

Just looks like they've had a rough summer to me!!! :o)

scootersbear--I understand your point--but my point is--why not leave them on, when it is a very small hosta,
    and she agreed not to cut them--eventually and reluctantly? What was her point in ignoring my request?
    Note that I even offered to pay extra shipping if that was the problem. She was uncooperative and not good
    to her word, at the very least IMO! She never said, she'd already done it--she said that it was her habit to do
    so when shipping them--and the cuts looked pretty fresh, not brown!!

• esther_opal
    15 years ago

"I'm not exactly sure what nema-cooties look like"
    talynnp

Search for threads about nematodes, much to learn and you can diagnose for nematodes easily with a loop.

Don't try from photos then running around your garden looking, it will drive you crazy.

I wouldn't put new plants in my garden without a quarantine in a pot first.

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

"Search for threads about nematodes, much to learn and you can diagnose for nematodes easily with a loop."

EO, you're referring to a jewelers loop, correct?

The article that hey_j was very informative in how to deal with infested plants and identifying if you have a problem. Thank you for posting it. I particularly liked the tip on soaking a clipping of the leaf to see if the creepy critters are swimming about in the glass after a day. Gotta love those plant guys at OSU. Go Bucks!

• scootersbear
    15 years ago

She left some on, yes, she did what you asked. Taking off ugly leafs in Aug. doesn't seem like a crime to me. Sounds like presenation , not wanting to give you an ugly hosta.
    Just from being on Ebay a long time and everyday 12 hours a day and a power seller, it's hard to accomodate every request from everyone if it's in the listing you go by whats in the listing. Seller knows it's Aug. he leafs are ugly and she doesn't want to dissapoint you so she takes off a few leafs to make it look presentable. Just from reading your own posting we can pretty much assume that they didn't know it had something because neither did you when you got it or a year later. Just doesn't sound like seller is at fault here. Trust me Sellers would love to leave negative feedback just for people who are a pain in the A$$, but we can't. If this person had know you wanted the leafs on and they put they did send with leafs off they would have rather not made the extra 25-50 cents more and not done business with you. Not trying to make you mad or anything I just think your not looking at the other side.
    PS..when I read a listing for a hosta and they say they cut off the leafs. I don't bid either.

• esther_opal
    15 years ago

"Not to sound mean, just honest from what I'm reading I'd have to side with the seller"
    scooterbear

I don't think we need to even consider sides, I think I see both sides. Well ain't "I" smart?

If we stay with what we know not what we think then it is easier to address this and many other questions.

Looking at this as a lawyer would, it is easy to argue either side if sides must be taken. I'm saying I'm on hey_j's side, if I must take a side but I won't take a side because there doesn't seem to me to be a side to be on.

AND, I don't think you really want to take a side, you seem to be applying your best thinking to what has been reported.

• Janice
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Tracy--that article was referenced by our 'lisa'!! Wasn't that nice of her!!!

Here is my version, of what to look for, though! :o)

{{gwi:1052516}}

If you're wondering why the leaf looks---so wilted--it's because it was nuked in the micorowave--in my rage!!!

I hate those things--those nasty foliar nematodes!!!! Sigh!!!

{{gwi:1052518}}

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

Woops! My apologies to Lisa, I got cross eyed for a second there. Thanks hey_j for helping me out there.

Awesome article there Lisa! Thanks for posting it. Gotta love helpful information.

I'm siding with EO on this one. The point is there are nematodes on the hosta, they will be dealt with severely by our fair hey_j and erradicated, I have no doubt.

Before bidding on any listing, ask questions of the seller, if they don't answer, don't bid, if they do answer and you feel comfortable that you will be receiving the item in the condition agreed upon, go ahead and bid. If there is a dispute, handle it before leaving feedback. You will have a much more agreeable person to deal with on the other end of the internet. Be courteous and kind when inquiring about the trouble you are having and you will have a much better chance of walking away as a happy person.

• razorback33
    15 years ago

The only Hosta I ever received that was infected with nematodes, came from a reputable grower on the East Coast.
    And it was not evident when I received the plant.
    So, regardless of the source, you can never know what will show up later. It was still in quarantine when the evidence appeared. I ripped the foliage off at the crown, bagged and disposed of it and moved the pot to the rear of my woodlands and forgot it. Discovered it a few years later, much larger and no sign of nematodes. It's still growing in the pot, back there. I'm paranoid!
    Rb

• regattagirl
    15 years ago

No Worries. I don't need credit. Afterall, it's not like I WROTE the article. I'm just glad this whole thing has turned into an education about purchasing and about nemo-cooties.

I'm proud of hey_j for having so much integrity that, even in her frustration, she won't post the seller's name. And by the way, great pictures of the damage.

I wonder though if I should start a discussion asking for trusted/favorite sources so that we can make sure we are buying from them....? I think there might have been a similar one a while back.

• talynnp
    15 years ago

"I wouldn't put new plants in my garden without a quarantine in a pot first."
    EO

Oh no, I just jumped right in to this hosta thing with both feet without doing any research about diseases, or hijackers (nematodes) or quarantine or or or or.....hope I haven't done a he$$ of a lot of work to only lose it all in the next couple of years.

Tanya

• Janice
    Original Author
    15 years ago

No matter what, Tanya, in the hosta market, today--it's a risk when you buy one. Don't worry about it--if it's HVX you will know in a few years, for pretty sure. Just make sure not to cut scapes with the same knife or scissors you just cut another with. And, if you dig and divide, make sure you also clean the shovel and or knife (after and between digs) with a fury, with Dawn dish detergent and a bleach solution.

With the nematodes--in my opinion, it's a worse problem. But--what are we going to do--give up our passion? Nope,
    we'll just have to 'deal with it'!!!

Enjoy what you've done!!! I've gone through the hysteria of nematodes and the frustration of HVX--and I think I'm beginning to mellow.
    The nematodes I found the other day--didn't get 'nuked' this time, like the leaf I showed above (my first discovery on a newly purchased 'Sugar and Cream'). In fact, I'm so cool about it--it's still in that card-board box up on the deck! I feel sorry for it!! But--not for the 'nems'!!! I hate that they are such a problem--and my graphic is from the previous experiences, but I just posted it for fun this time!! I'm not nearly as 'freaked' as before--but still miffed at the seller for selling it--because it was a problem she saw--and felt she had to conceal, whether she understood what it was or not!

That, to me, shows a lack of integrity--which I value very much in anyone, whether they are selling me something or just being a friend--be honest, sincere, kindly forthright and patient with me--cause we all are 'a work in progress' on some level! :o/ Did I mention I just can't abide someone who 'flatters' which translates to be someone being very ingenuous--hoping to impress me and with an ulterior motive--that I always wonder about!!!

And, I just don't understand the desire to hurt another person, to put them down or make them feel idiotic--what is with that in a person to feed off that kind of hurtful mindset??

Oh well--now you know more about me than you ever wanted to know--right? LOL

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

Tanya and Lisa, I think both of you have very good ideas for new topics. Reputable Sellers and What to do with your new hosta once they arrived from their source. There are many things I didn't consider either when my online order came and I plunked them in the ground. They all happen to be away from my shade garden in the woods but still a little insight on how to look for potential problems would have been nice.

The seller that I had did tell me to soak them for a day in water and to give them a bath in a 10% bleach and water solution if there was any slimy/stink on them. That is what I did and they all seem to be good. Time will tell.

• sassy7142
    15 years ago

Oh, for the good ol days when the customers were always right and a business understood that word of mouth advertising could be their worse or best emeny.

Then along came the fear of law suits.

I've escaped the court room so far, why, I don't know because I am very opinionated.

If I see something wrong I am known to voice my opinion loudly.

And, if you've read what I've said about Hilltop Gardens I also praise those business' that deserve it.

I guess I'm an equal opportunity activist. LOL

Oh, for the good ol days!

• shade_tolerant
    15 years ago

Excellent graphic on the nematodes Janice and I'm so sorry they've reared their ugly head in your garden! I also don't want my hosta leaves cut for shipping, I want to see the whole plant no matter what shape it may be in. The mail order sellers I bought from in the past didn't cut leaves off but I haven't purchased any hostas from ebay only a few trusted online sellers.
    Your hosta is really a mystery and I'm curious if any other non-hosta plants were growing nearby? Reason I'm asking is that there are quite a few other plants that are susceptible to foliar nematodes. You've probably already seen this list as I think I posted a similar one a few years back. Tried to include a link but it didn't work so I'll just copy the list for anyone who wants to check out what plants could be growing in your garden that are susceptible to foliar nematodes. The list makes a hosta lover cringe!!!

Woody Plants and Herbaceous Perennials

Amaranthus tricolor
    Anemone x hybrida
    Baptista australis
    Begonia sp.
    Fragaria x ananassa
    Hepatica sp.
    Heuchera sp.
    Hosta sp.
    Hypericum sp.
    Ipomoea sp.
    Iris sp.
    Ligularia sp.
    Ligustrum sp.
    Lilium sp.
    Malva sp.
    Narcissus sp.
    Paeonia sp.
    Papaver orientale
    Phlox sp.
    Polygonatum sp.
    Rhododendron

Greenhouse foliage, Annual and Bedding Plants

Ageratum sp.
    Anthurium andraeanum
    Begonia sp.
    Coleus sp.
    Cyclamen persicum
    Ficus sp.
    Hibiscus rosa-sinensis
    Impatiens sp.
    Lilium sp.
    Ocimum basilicum
    Orchids
    Pelargonium x hortorum
    Peperomia sp.
    Saintpaulia ionantha
    Salvia sp.
    Sinningia sp.
    Vanda sp.

Ferns

Asplenium nidus
    Athyrium goeringianum
    Blechnum sp.
    Dryopteris sp.
    Nephrolepis sp.
    Osmunda sp.
    Polypodium sp.
    Polystichum sp.
    Pteris sp.

copied from the site of RUTGERS COOPERATIVE RESEARCH & EXTENSION--
    Compiled by E.M. Dutky (University of Maryland) and A. B. Sindermann (Maryland Dept. of Agriculture)

• hostarox
    15 years ago

Thanks for posting the list again, Shade!
    It brings more awareness to all of us. ;-))

I also want to add, (it's not ebay) but, a nursery I have always gotten good result from over the years is Bridgewood Gardens. They cut foliage, always have....if it needs to be done. Plants I have gotten from them have been stellar, disease free over the years.
    Later in the season, the plant isn't harmed in any way, and it's easier to ship.

It's all a case of buyer beware, plus buyer awareness!
    Rox

• ademink
    15 years ago

Shade...I was just getting ready to post that list when I saw you already did! :)

Hate to break it to you, folks...but chances of you having nematodes in your yard in SOME plant already is 99.999999%.

If you have plants...they will come eventually. Hopefully just not to your hosta. :)

Janice...just a tip. If your plant is still showing signs of nematodes, plant it in full western or southern sun for a year or two. Make sure you keep it watered at the base (no water on the leaves).

I had a Fire & Ice that presented w/ nematodes 3 years ago. Fortunately I had been lazy and left it in its pot on the patio table so it was never near anything else. I knew that heat-treatment was supposed to work so decided to try something.

I planted this hosta in full sun, western exposure. It is HOT, dry like crazy (I actually didn't water it again after a week of being planted). It has never presented w/ nematodes again. I wondered if I had been lucky for a couple of years but w/ all of the rain we had this year, if nematodes were there, they would show for sure!!!

Hilarious thing is that I also discovered that Fire and Ice loves full sun! It is the best looking one I've seen. LOL!

• Janice
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you, dhaven and Andrea! Kinda hopeless ain't it!!!
    Thank you, also for the list, dhaven--I guess I'll just have
    to accept the fact that 'nems' are a 'given' in any garden,
    somewhere!

Can't change some things--we just have to change what
    we can and live with the rest!

Default to prayer of St. Francis...

• shade_tolerant
    15 years ago

Rox and Andrea that list blew me away the first time I saw it. I mean who doesn't grow lilies, ferns, begonias, impatiens, heucheras, etc.?? One of my favorite plants coleus is on the list too.
    So true that foliar nematodes are probably always lurking in the soil, just waiting for the right plant and conditions.

• buff24
    15 years ago

Yeah, I've pretty much given up on trying to rid my garden of foliar nematodes... Once I found out just how many different types of plants can have them, how easily they are transmitted, and how hard they are to irradicate, I figured it wasn't worth trying... Not that the hostas aren't worth it, but honestly, by the time any of mine start showing signs of nems, the hostas are past their prime and on their decline for the season anyway.

I also make it a point to not share any hostas from my garden... not that I don't WANT to, I just know some of mine have nems (Janice tested a few for me a few years ago, and they tested positive) so I don't want to pass them to some unsuspecting person... Honestly, though, the ones that tested positive 2 summers ago, didn't show any signs last year, and haven't shown any signs this year either. And believe me, my hostas don't get "babied..." I have rarely watered this year, hardly at all. Just a few that are still in containers...

Just my thoughts... I realize it probably sounds like heresy on this forum, but please no one shoot me for knowing I have nems, and choosing to do nothing :-)
    Buff

• Janice
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Buff--I think it's just so unpredictable--the whole garden thing with various pests and probably very uncontrollable
    to a large extent.

I know that year before last, a man across the street from my MIL, had (and continues to have) about 10 S&S and they were HORRIBLY infected with HVX! He has chosen to do nothing about it and last year they presented no EVIDENCE of the virus!! I think it was Chris, who said oddly enough--in a high stress year they may not show the signs!! I wonder if that's true with nematodes, as well! However--I did find some plants I had received from someone else with definite evidence of the nematodes, last year.

Hopefully, they were sent with no knowledge of their presence, and what you have just said, may be a strong case for them being present and yet not evident every year, so that someone could unknowingly give a hosta away that has them! I am willing to believe that is the situation whereby I got the ones I did that way! And, that is why I prefer to share a plant right after I purchase it, before it goes into my garden, rather than dig one that is living awhile in my situation--and I never share one from an area where the nematodes were first spotted, even if I haven't seen any further evidence so far!! I don't know when I'll feel it's safe to do that, knowing how upsetting it is to receive a hosta with that kind of infestation!!

It's life, ya know and we really aren't all that IN CONTROL of it all, or responsible for what happens, in our gardens, at the very least! We do what we can, and trust what will be, will be, in so many instances!

Another case in point--I have 'Southern Blight' in several different and varied locations. Three in pots, and two in barrels and one in a raised bed! What in the world?? I didn't have it last year and if it is a soil problem--how does three different soil sources exhibit the problem?

We just can't explain everything!!!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!