SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
denninmi

Russian Pickled Vegetables -- Know anything about this?

denninmi
16 years ago

Back in the spring, and repeated several times over the summer, Martha Stewart showed a segment filmed in Moscow during her April trip to Russia and Kazakhstan (when she went to see her boyfriend go up to the Int'l Space station).

Martha visited a farmer's market in Moscow, and she featured a stand which sold Russian style pickled vegetables. It was fascinating to me, because everything looked like it was freshly picked, extremely vibrant in color, not mushy but crisp, and many types of things were available which I would never have dreamed of being pickled, let alone being pickled and keeping their color and texture, like whole beefstake tomatos, asparagus spears, yellow and green beens, beets with their greens, whole carrots. I think there were even things like whole eggplants and ears of sweet corn. The colors were spectacular -- bright green, bright red, bright orange, just like when the produce was fresh.

Martha said it was a salt fermentation process, but it can't be done like making sauerkraut or kim chee or Chinese pickled vegetables, because that method of layering vegetables and salt in a crock, while it creates acid and preserves the produce, turns them into near mush and takes most of the color out.

Does anyone know how this was done? Besides salt, are other chemicals used to keep the color -- I'm wondering if they use some type of nitrate or nitrate like is used to cure meat and retain the pinkish color in hams and sausages?

Any information which could be provided would be appreciated.

Comments (6)