SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webmistress007

Canning Business

webmistress007
11 years ago

I'm searching for feedback on a business idea about canning and preserving for other people. This last season I did some local advertising for picking and preserving farmers and hobbyists excess fruits and veggies. I not only wanted to stock my own pantry but thought it was a great way to get free food.
The structure was set up to be divided into quarters with 25% of finished product going to the farmer and 75% being distributed between me and my partners. When harvest time arrived, we would book time to pick as much as we could from the farmer's trees or garden then take the harvest back home to be preserved. The farmer would have a set choice as to what they wanted done with their share. In our smallish community I was overwhelmed by the orders and had to turn people away. Now for the coming season I would like to open a business based on this structure but instead of doing the picking (which was really hard and time consuming) the farmer would bring in their picked harvest and pay me to do the preserving. It would be sort of based on a U-Brew business structure but instead of making wine and beer, I would be making jams and pickles.
Has anyone done this sort of venture before or know of anyone who did? How did it work out and what were some of the major challenges they encountered? Thanks for any feedback!!

Comments (9)