SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
denninmi

Litchi Tomato (Solanum sisymbriifolium) Sweet or Savory Use Ideas

denninmi
15 years ago

I grew this tomato relative last summer for the first time. I was most impressed with the plant, and want to grow more of them next year.

Thinking ahead, I'm trying to think of uses for the fruit. For those of you unfamiliar with it (which I am assuming is most everybody), it looks like a medium-sized cherry tomato (about the size of a Sungold), is red in color, has pulp, vacuoles, and seeds inside similar to a cherry tomato. Flavor tastes like a mix of a cherry tomato, a tart cherry, and perhaps a hint of watermelon. Texture is basically the same as a cherry tomato, except that the seeds have a bit of "crunch" to them, in a pleasant way.

This past summer, I used my first picking to make a couple of quarts of salsa, a sweet-sour blend with onions and a lot of peppers, and I put honey into it to bring out the fruity nature of it. This turned out very, very nice.

I also experimented with making one very small jar of preserves, where I just washed and sort of crushed the fruits, and then boiled them in a sugar syrup until it was sort of candied. This was pretty good as well.

But, I'd like to have suggestions for something else in terms of a sweet or a savory product that could be done with these. I would think recipes based on tomatoes, pie cherries, or cranberries all could probably be adapted to work well with this fruit. So, any thoughts on this?

Dennis

SE Michigan

Comments (3)