SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
prairie_love

Apple chutney, two questions

17 years ago

Hi,

I finally got around to making the apple chutney I asked about before. The flavor is wonderful, I'm very happy, but I have two questions. First, I combined all the ingredients and simmered for over 2 hours. My plan is to refrigerate it and reheat tomorrow, then put in jars and process. I assume this is not a problem (that's question 1a).

But, it was supposed to thicken during that simmering phase, which it did not do at all. I don't know what would make it thicken - the apples? So, what if I added some arrowroot tomorrow, is that a problem? I don't have ClearJel, and can't find it in town, so don't suggest that, but is there another thickener I can use? (Question 1)

The other thing is browning of the apples. These are apples from our trees, so they aren't a variety specifically for canning. They are probably Haralson, if that means anything to anyone. I have noticed before that even if I just cut one, it browns very quickly. When I made this chutney, I cut the apples and immediately put into Fruit Fresh. Once everything was prepared, I drained them and put them in the stock pot with other ingredients, including vinegar. They still are browning. Is this the variety or are there other tricks to keep the apples from browning? Or do I just shrug my shoulders and say okay? (Question 2)

Thanks for the help.

Ann

Comments (7)