SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
prairie_love

curried apple chutney

prairie_love
17 years ago

I'm thinking of making an apple chutney (still have apples to deal with, can you tell?). I have two recipes available and there are things I like about each. So, I want to do a little mixing and matching and just want to be sure it's okay.

Here's the two recipes:

From BBB (so I know I can trust this one)

2 qts apples

2 lbs raisins

4 c brown sugar

1 c onion

1 c red pepper

3 tbs mustard seed

2 tbs ginger

2 tsp allspice

2 tsp curry powder

2 tsp salt

2 hot red peppers

1 clove garlic

4 c vinegar

From "Well Preserved" by Mary Anne Dragan

9 c apples

2 c onion

2 c raisins

2 c brown sugar

1 1/2 c cider vinegar

1 tbs mustard seeds

1 1/2 tsp salt

1 tsp dried chili flakes

1 tsp curry powder

1/2 tsp each turmeric, cumin, coriander, cardamom, ginger

So, first, the BBB recipe starts with almost twice as much apple, but the other has twice as much onion, BBB has twice the raisins and twice the brown sugar. BUT, BBB has a more than twice the vinegar. So, question 1) is the amount of vinegar important for safety here and do I need to use the amount in BBB? If I were to make the other recipe, is it not enough? Actually, I like the BBB ratios of apples and onions and raisins better (I think - hard to tell really), but I like the spices in the other. Can I just add those to the BBB recipe? Can I maybe cut out the allspice and garlic and use turmeric, cumin, coriander and cardamom instead? Of do I then need to cut back on the giner and mustard so the total amount of spices stays the same? (I guess that was question 2). Finally, those of you who are more experienced looking at these recipes - which do you think looks better? I find it very difficult to judge recipes that use this much - I'm not used to it yet.

Oh, and one final question. If I wanted to cut the recipe in half, can I do so? I know that jellies you are not supposed to change, but I don't think it should matter if I just did half of this.

Thanks, as usual, for the help.

Ann, who is thankfully starting to run out of apples!

Comments (11)