SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19691928

What are your 2011 garden plans?

User
13 years ago

Well, this is a sad post for me, because I'm moving to an apartment, and will only be able to take a few plants along, mostly my favorite philodendrons, since they do well without much light.

I plan to get a community garden plot as soon as I can in Gainesville, but there may be a waiting list. I don't know. I'm also planning on getting a lighted stand and getting back into growing African Violets sometime in the future.

I'll be "rehoming" over 100 plants from January through March. Some of them are "u dig", but it seems nobody really wants to dig things up anymore. I've tried to do that before, only to have them show up with no shovel, no pots, telling me they can't dig and wanting me to do it for them. Maybe I'll have a "u-dig" plant swap before I leave!

I have a home for my orchids and most of my bromeliads, and just have to find a place for the rest now. I'll sell some of the larger, more valuable ones, IF I can find someone willing to pay what they're worth. Why do people expect you to GIVE your plants away, when they're willing to go to HD or Lowe's and pay exorbitant prices for them? I will never understand that.

Has anyone ever dug up and re-located a larger citrus tree? Mine have about 3-4" diameter trunks, and I'd like to give them to someone if I could instead of leaving them here. If anyone wants to try, let me know. I'm sure you'd have to cut them way back and it would take a year or two to get fruit, but it would be worth it.

So that's it for me. How about you?

Comments (16)