SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mmqchdygg

Plans for 2011? What's getting yanked; what's getting added?

mmqchdygg
13 years ago

As I peer out my window nightly to my 4-foot+ cottage-y garden spaces right outside my front door, I realize just how YELLOW & ORANGE-YELLOW it really is. Granted, I LIKE that it's filled in nicely with all sorts of ruds (!) and coreopsis over the last few years, but it's also done so with wild abandon. (You'd never guess that I was on a yellow kick about 2 years ago.)

I've got BIG patches of daisies (love those!), but the yellow is the predominant color in there. I decided I must rectify this next season somehow.

What I LOVED that happened just as I wanted it to: I had a small patch of "toto" ruds in a small area along my pathway. I wanted that patch longer. So I grabbed a dying one last fall, and just whacked the seed-head along the space where I wanted it. Wah-lah! The length of ruds along the path is significantly longer this year- YAY! It's really very pretty to walk along it.

Anyhoo...some of the coreopsis has GOT to go. It's the "grandiflora" type, so it needs a neighbor to help support it, otherwise it flops dreadfully from the center out (which it's doing in the back areas where I can see from inside the window, but visitors can't...which is ok), and I can't deadhead it as often as it needs it. Maybe I'll try a more well-behaved variety. Is there a taller version of "Early Sunrise" out there? I have that little shorty, and I like it for its well-behaved nature, so "well behaved" is key. Also "sturdy" things that don't flop all over.

I love my tall white phlox in another section; will likely move that. And I have a daylily garden that I can certainly steal many from to fill in. But I'd like some new perennials. Things I haven't even thought of. Got any ideas? Most things are around the 4' mark, so if you have ideas 3-4', that would be excellent.

One thing I find challenging: it's difficult to plant new HOSs in & around the established perennials, since the latter tend to grow faster and block out the sun, and the newbies end up not growing at all. This is more than mildly frustrating. I suppose the answer is to establish a holding bed for a year, and transplant them in 2012...any thoughts on that?

I need to start making a list...of seeds (and for Bluestone- LOL!). What's on your list of incoming & outgoings?

Comments (25)

Sponsored