SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ilovemyroses

Yanked Mermaid....now what???

ilovemyroses
11 years ago

I have an unirrigated back fence and alleyway about fifty feet long a few feet from an alley that I had planted with TWO, yes TWO mermaids. The garbage collectors have suffered enough. My husband has suffered enough! Mermaid lost! SHE IS GONE!!!

South exposure. Great sun.

Question. Now what? Would like something interesting. Would love a repeater, but THORNLESS or LOW THORN COUNT, MANAGEABLE...all those things Mermaid isn't!

Veilchenblau sounds so interesting, yes I know a once bloomer but rugged I believe? Fortuniana is another that I think could take the lack of irrigation. And has interest. (This IS Texas!). Then there is always Madame Alfred Carriere, ZD, Crepuscule (isn't this a low thorn count, which is fine?)

MUST BE ABLE TO HANDLE LESS REGULAR IRRIGATION than the rest of the garden, POORER SOIL, color doesn't matter, fragrance is optional, would need to at least be 10 foot or so climbing wise...I CAN GROW SEVERAL!!! :)

(I already have Peggy Martin, but that's what I'm talking about...rugged and interesting!)

Please offer any ideas, as I am going to ARE on Thursday, and Chamblees soon, and have a shopping cart begun at Vintage!!

Comments (18)