SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
donsol_gw

Yank out 'Ivory Halo' dogwood or 'Shining Sensation' Weigela?

12 years ago

Planting in front of house -

variegated red twig dogwood "Ivory Halo" located in corner between porch and front of the house. The green in the variegation of the dogwood is greenish-gray and oddly enough it matches the newly painted colouring of the house almost exactly.

A set of three "Shining Sensation" weigelas were planted in front of the dogwood. They have lustrous dark green and deep burgundy foliage.

The dogwood is a replacement for a shamrock holly that was just too leggy and just did not really work. The landscape was designed by a professional landscape designer and I'm embarassed to admit just how ridiculously expensive the design and installation was (for the entire front of the house - not just the dogwood/weigelas). The landscape designer succeeded in intimidating me and I'm both embarassed and sorry that I lacked the confidence to question the decisions that were made and do the research needed to discover exactly what I was getting.

Here's the problem - I don't think that the colour transition between the dogwood and the weigelas really works - that gray/green doesn't seem to work well with the dark green/ burgundy. My thinking is that I have two choices - 1) try to find something to plant below and between the weigelas to "echo" the variegated dogwood e.g. astilbe/carex/astilbe/carex/astilbe interpersed with brunnera or dusty miller or 2) yank out the weigelas and plant something more harmonious with the dogwood. Next to the dogwood/weigelas combination is a sambucus nigra and to the right of that is a small crabapple with burgundy foliage. Burgudy heucheras are interpersed throughout but they (like just about everything else) can be replaced.

An addition question is this -

on the left of the porch is a rhododendron which I want to yank out and replace with a second variegated dogwood because I don't feel that the current setup is really balanced. I apologize in advance for any misteps that I may have taken in posting to the forum but I promise to learn the rules and be a polite and courteous poster. The house itself is green with a gray undertone and the burgundy colour scheme works well but I feel that a better choice would have been to incorporate a bit of red-violet/violet to the burgundy or to have just used white throughout. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions or advice I would greatly appreaciate a reply and I'm not at all thin-skinned so please feel free to steer me back upon the right path. Thank you to one and all!

Comments (5)