SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
donsol_gw

Red gnome dogwoods as replacements?

DonSol
12 years ago

In May of this year (2011) a rhododendron PJM was planted to the left/back of our L-shaped concrete porch (which faces west), a fothergilla gardenii was planted in front of the porch (in the "crook" of the "L") and a variegated "Ivory Halo" to the right of the porch. The "Ivory Halo" is surrounded by 3 "Shining Sensation" weigelas (burgundy-green coloring") and quite frankly, the green/white coloring just doesn't work with the weigelas. My idea is to yank out the rhododendron (because for 11 months of the year it seems to be pretty boring) and the dogwood and replace them with a pair of "Red Gnome" dogwoods to flank each side of the porch and to remove the fothergilla and replace it with a "Rose Glow" Japanese barberry. The fothergilla is a great shrub but I'm trying to reinforce a burgundy color scheme and the barberry would seem to be a good choice to do so. I don't have a picture availabe but essentially it would be one red gnome dogwood facing north/northwest, one barberry facing north/west, and a second red gnome dogwood facing south/southwest. Any advice would be well appreciated. One additional question is whether or not the nurseries located around Chicago would even have Red Gnome dogwoods available at this time of the year or if I would have to wait until next spring? Allow me to thank one and all for any advice offered.

Comments (2)