SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bruggirlnw

Help! Here is what poor planning will get ya...

bruggirlnw
17 years ago

Hi All,

I have been reading a lot on this forum, but never spoken up before- nice to meet you all!

Here is my saga...

I got a kit Poly greenhouse in late September (8x6). Put it on a wooden base, pea gravel on the floor over landscape fabric. I wanted to overwinter my meyers lemon and brumansias as well as a few non hardy perrenials. I sealed the cracks and crevices with silicone.

First the freezing weather with wind came through somewhat unexpectedly. I had put the vent on backwards so the freezing wind whipped through and pretty much killed most the leaves on the plants.

I added weatherstripping and a small heater. Then the rain started, and never stopped. Now I have rain dripping into the greenhouse so it is obviously not sealed correctly. Today I went out to get the heater out before the electricity shorted and found that most of my plants are not only covered with spider mites, but a lovely 1/2 thick fuzz of mold. Those in the NW may understand the mold that can appear overnight!

So- any suggestions on how I can waterproof/insulate/ventilate without losing heat for this puppy? Now it is warmer at least so I don't need to worry about the cold for awhile...

Comment (1)