SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jiminchina_gw

Canning without proper lids - Possible?

jiminchina
13 years ago

So, since I'm new to these forums, I've thought up a strange question to ask you all.

Here's the situation.

I've never canned before. I've been living in China, studying Chinese for the last 2 years. I've been cooking small batches of food here and there, to whet my appetite for the good old motherland's fare. I've been surviving by doing insane things like cooking tomato sauce in small batches, spending 4 hours of work for a meals enjoyment. But I'm tired of that. I wanted to go to greater, more amazing pastures of food consumption and preservation. So I started cooking big batches of stuff, and suddenly realized how small my freezer really was.

So, I want to put my newly purchased pressure cooker to good use. Pressure canning low acid foods like tomato sauce sounds great. I've found the jars. I've got the food (I just bought 10 pounds of really good Tomatoes for $1.50). I've even got the time and the willpower.

I don't have the lids. Well, actually, I have "lids" but what I don't have is the sealing compound. Chinese, apparently, don't like home canning or preserving of any kind. In truth, I can't think of single home-made Chinese dish that you even could can. The cooking is generally all fresh-stirfry-serve.

So, now I have two ideas on replacing the lids, but I thought that before I went and canned a lot of tomato sauce that might kill me later, I'd ask you fine folks.

Idea one: Store bought big manufacture jars for preserved peaches. Wax (lots of?) or pectin solution on the rim.

This probably won't work because the wax or pectin solution would melt out the sides during the long pressure bath.

Idea two:

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=7118914760&ali_refid=a3_420435_1006:1102662421:6:%C3%DC%B7%E2%B9%DE:1fa420a3bf7d52e9a1dd57b39fc95f4f&ali_trackid=1_1fa420a3bf7d52e9a1dd57b39fc95f4f

Glass lid metal swing clamp jars from the Chinese version of E-bay. These guys also have a plastic ring that fits on the inside rim and could(?) create a seal. I think these resemble the old Lightening jars that we used in the states up until 1960s. But, I'm not sure exactly how you would use them...

Anyways, thanks for reading my way too long-winded message and thank you especially if you can give me any advice.

Comments (6)