SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wiringman

update on the potato harvest

wiringman
14 years ago

first we put a 40' container under ground to make a root cellar. that will hold a lot of potatoes, carrots, beets, apples, onions and squash.

i was wrong about the 9,000 pounds. it's 5 ton plus.

one of us just had a triple bypass and we ar selling 1/2 of the potatoes to help pay what the insurance did not pay.

the last field is not quite done. we had to stop because Californians last week storm showed up here in the mountains. gee thanks Cal. well we liver in the hi mountain desert so every drop was welcome.

we sort the potatoes 4 ways. big, what we call saves, small what one lady calls canners and one guy calls seed and last what we call cuts.

cuts are any potato wiht damaged skin or looks like it will spoil. we give them to whoever will get eaten before the go bad.

we sack the potatos in 25 and 50 pound onion sacks.

the 25 pound sack of bigs only have 13-14 potatoes in them.

just so you all know that this in not just my effort alone. there are 5-6 families that work together to produce all this food.

every year we learn something to make it easier to get the work done.

the potatoes are mostly tractor farmed. we have a disc, a plow, a tractor mounted tiller, a potato planter, a potato digger, a cultivator, a bush hog and a potato sroting table.

getting the potatoes from the feild to the sorter, moving the sacked potatoes and cutting the seed still requires manual labor.

we planted three different potatoes this year. a new one to us was LaSota. we also planted Yukon gold and Pontiac.

the Pontiac and the LaSota are red. i can't tell the difference. the hoopala for the LaSota said it was a better keeper.

i found a black hearted potato yesterday. one book said that it was a lack of boron. just a note of caution if you put boron on you field go lightly. it is very alkaline.

dumb things to not do.

don't arrange you irrigation pipe so you have to move it to cultivate.

don't plant squash and sunflowers at the end of your rows. think ahead.

i am sure we will make other miatakes next year so stay tuned.

today i harvested my red cabbage and got a baseball bat.

tomorrow i will make kraut.

today i planted garlic. i did not know that were so many different type of garlic. now i want to try more kinds. will it ever end. well i hope not.

i still believe you can not subtract the time a person spends in the garden from thier life.

Dean

PS wiringman is a left over from being an electrical contractor. i have always been a gardener since my daddy taught me how great it was to grow food. i am a great electrician but i am now being what i want to be. yea i know a dirt farmer.

gardeners know the best dirt.

Dean

Comments (7)