SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

Potatoes, Yukon Gold, questions about harvesting?

prairiemoon2 z6b MA
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

This is my first year planting potatoes in the ground. I can see some things I can do better for next year. All my plants flopped, so I guess I need to figure out how to prevent that next year because they drove me crazy in the pathways of my raised beds all season. Then they looked awful most of the time, yellowed foliage They barely bloomed and the plant didn't seem to die back so I looked for potatoes and since there were some I just decided yesterday to dig them all up and be done with the foliage and pull the plants. Oh, and if you pull some potatoes around the plant, if you leave the plant there and not pull it, will it produce more potatoes?

So I got a decent amount of potatoes and the first trial I dug out a couple of weeks ago, someone told me not to wash off the dirt. So I am confused. You have to wash them to eat them right? Or to store them in the refrigerator? Plus are you supposed to do that right away or allow the dirt to dry on them first? Should you leave them in the sun or get them out of the sun right away and get them in the refrigerator right away?

And after you harvest them, what do you do with the bed to prepare for next season? You don't want to plant any potatoes or related crops, right? Do you cover crop it? What is a good crop to follow the next season where you grew potatoes?

Comments (4)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm