SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
haloony

Looking for feedback on my Yukon Gold planting schedule/plan

haloony
12 years ago

Hi All,

Back in early february I ordered 2.5 pounds of organic Yukon Gold seed potatoes. Yayy! I received my new seed potatoes on April 16th and began following the instructions that I received with the seed potatoes. The instructions say that the first thing I should do is store the seed potatoes in a warm and dark place for 2 weeks. So, I have taken the brown paper bag the seed potatoes came in and I have put it in my hall cabinet starting April 16th.

Continuing with the instructions, after the warming stage, comes the pre-sprouting or chitting stage. The instructions say I should give each potato a place in an egg-crate or tray and place them in medium-lighting. The instructions say that this should allow short and stubby sprouts. After 2-4 weeks of "chitting", it is time for planting.

If I follow this schedule, I will be planting sometime in mid-late May. In my research around gardenweb and the internet at large, this seems rather late. For fellow gardeners in 6b, early April seems to be the agreed upon plating date. Should I skip this warming and chitting business and get right to planting or should I keep to the above schedule?

As for the actual planting, I am planning on adding organic compost to my ground soil, mixing them together nicely and then planting my seed potatoes six inches deep and covering with ~2 inches of soil-compost mix. I am wondering if this sounds like a good plan.

I have included pictures of a seed potato with a growing sprout and the brown paper bag they came in. Any feedback would be super-cool.

Thanks!

Hal

{{gwi:42606}}

{{gwi:42607}}

{{gwi:42608}}

Comments (18)