SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deirdre_2007

Narrowed down my plant list and need feedback please

deirdre_2007
16 years ago

Hello everyone and thank you in advance for your assistance.

The past two years have been a bit trying for me and my garden. I tried to plant "unusual plants", things that everyone didn't already have in their gardens, and between the drought, japaneese beetles and the heat my gardens didn't do as well as I'd hoped. This year I am changing my philosophy so that while I might now have the most original garden, at least I'll have a garden that blooms and rewards me for my efforts!! LOL!! So with that in mind, I've created a short list of plants, along with my criteria, and I'm hoping you will give me advice regarding your experiences that you cannot find in books!! Thank you.

My goal this year is to only buy a few plants because of last year's drought, so I want what I buy to be winners in my garden. This list is narrowed down from a much larger list, but suffice to say that my criteria for choosing a plant is:

1) Drought tolerant/low water requirements

2) Deer resistant/rabbit resistant

3) Tolerates clay soil

4) Easy care (not prone to diseases/infestations)

5) Bonus would be long blooming/naturalizing

Achillea

Agastache

Asclepia

Baptista

Echinacea

Euphorbia (I'm really in love with these, so I'm hoping this fits my top 4 at least)

Gaillardia

Lavandula

Nepeta

Salvia (I'm pretty sure these will work, but what's your favorite and why???)

Thank you so much for your help. I know there are many more plants, but I narrowed down my list to these above, so please give me your pros/cons if you can!!

thank you!!!

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert