SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rathos

Tomato Plan-ting for this year... Thoughts?

Rathos
12 years ago

So I wanted to share my plan for my tomatoes this year to get some feedback from more experienced growers, as well as pose my ideas in general. (Bruce, I'm keeping it in line this time, hehe =P )

Area: I have (4) 4x12 raised beds for tomatoes. I am arranging them in line, lengthwise -> [:::]-[:::]-[:::]-[:::]

Soil: I'm living on top of a gravelly loam. Approx 50% silt, 30% sand, 20% clay. Amendments include generous portions of mushroom compost, dolomitic lime, and some sphagnum. Roughly 30 inches to broken bedrock below. Soil PH is acidic (5+ range). All boxes full sun.

Irrigation: I will be using soaker hose for the entire garden, I'm going with the gilmour nylon fabric style instead of normal rubber. Plan on having inline fertilization. The tomatoes will be on a dedicated single line, as is every type of crop, giving me flexibility in watering without hassle.

The boxes themselves will be filled to a slight crown at which point I am going to staple landscape fabric directly on top to cover completely. I will cut X's into the fabric to plant the tomatoes through it. Additionally, I have an old box of 1000 service-industry type foil sheets, which i plan to slit and put around the stems to hamper bugs. more on that later. I will have 6' CRW cages for each plant, tied down. The soaker hoses will go on top of the fabric but under a little mulch to try and help with evaporation loss.

Fertilization: My goal is to start with a nitrogen rich fertilizer through drip, with a little pruning to try and promote green growth at the beginning. Once flowering, I plan to switch to very low nitro, heavier phos and potas to promote fruiting.

Pests: Really, the only thing I'm worried about being able to control are brown marmorated stinkbugs. I live nearly in ground-zero where they spread from, and last year was disastrous for my peppers, but much less for my tomatoes. I'll get a couple rounds of nematodes to distribute throughout the season, they seemed to help quite a bit with grubs and larva of other bugs last year (I had 0 incidents). I did have an issue with bacterial wilt via cucumber beetles, but I have plans for those (row covers, sevin, so sorry organic, but USDA certified is BS anyway. I'll be avoiding it during flowering, because I do love bees) but that only made it to the tomatoes by the end of season. My pumpkins, cantaloupes, cucumbers didn't fare quite as well. Back to the point.

Plants: I have two tomatillos that will be taking up some space at the far end, but for all intents and purposes they can be lumped in here. The only reason I mention them is that they take up extra blocks.

Minus those, I have availability for (44) plants, each in a uniform 24-inch spread. The plants will be 1 foot from the side of the box, with literal 24 inch spacing in other directions before another plant. Essentially, 1 plant per 4 square feet.

Varieties: Plans are for (8) Roma VF, (6) 4th of July Hybrid, (6) Rutgers, (5) Big Beef Hybrid, (4) KBX, (3) Black Krim, (3) Steak Sandwich Slicer Hybrid, (3) Napa Grape, (2) Sugar Plum Grape, (2) Super Sweet 100 Hybrid Cherry, (2) Honeybunch Cherry. And of course the (2) Tomatillo Gigante.

Questions:

Does the setup in general sound effective?

Will the fertilization schedule (hopefully) achieve the desired effect?

Any thoughts or ideas on pest management - and will the foil sheets actually do anything?

Is my spacing too little or too great? I'm looking to get good yields without moisture buildup - It rains a bit and gets humid here, and I'm just not sure about the merits of foot^2 gardening.

Any recommendations for arranging these plants? i.e., Will putting cherries next to beefsteaks have any literal effects this season?

Any kind of feedback is well-met and appreciated. Looking forward to hearing thoughts =)

-Rathos (of bell pepper-posting fame)

Comments (11)