SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kats_meow

Floor Plan Feedback

kats_meow
13 years ago

We recently dropped the price on our listed house to mid $530s (had started at $600). Before dropping price we had had a mixed bag of feedback. Since dropping the price we have had 3 showings with almost identical feedback. The house and lot are nice but buyer doesn't care for floor plan. There is nothing specific on why. I don't think that there is much I can do about it but posting to see if any ideas. The house is large (about 4500 sf). The primary specific negative on the few (when it was listed at higher price) was that the kitchen was too small and/or that didn't have a breakfast room.

Posting some picks to see if I've missed something:

This is the kitchen. The counter on the left where the pendant lights are has a bar area with 3 seats (the bar area is about 5 feet long and 3 1/2 feet wide):

{{gwi:2053026}}

If you turn around from the bar area there is a hall and to the right is the powder room and to the left you can see into the family room (that is the family room is on the other side of the hall from the kitchen offset a bit). On the very left of the picture, you can just see the entryway into the kitchen:

{{gwi:2053027}}

So seated at the bar the family room is behind you across the hall.

If you look in the kitchen picture to the left of the refrigerator is a doorway. That opens into the formal dining room. The picture of the dining room is taken while standing in the foyer of the house:

{{gwi:2053028}}

The formal dining room opens into the foyer. The picture below is a picture of the foyer taken standing in the dining room area (with the dining room behind the photographer). The point being that when you walk into the house the first thing you see is the dining room:

{{gwi:2053029}}

When entering the foyer there is an opening to the immediate left (as you stand in the entry doorway). That opening opens into the formal living room which opens into a small sunroom at the end:

{{gwi:2053030}}

I don't think there is much I can do about the layout. The agent suggested possibly turning the formal dining room into a breakfast room and then turning the formal living room into a formal dining room. I think that wouldn't work since you would be seeing a breakfast room when you first walk into the house and turning the formal living room into a formal dining room would mean there was no formal living room (and some people already think that the family room is too small...house has huge secondary bedrooms but the kitchen and family room are not huge and neither is the master bedroom).

We put the bar area into the kitchen when we bought the house. The prior owners just had that space as dead space with nothing there. Before them there had been a small eating peninsula with no counter space or storage. The entire space there to put something is about 4 feet by 5 feet.

We have put a lot of money into getting the house ready to sell so can't really invest a lot more money into doing much else.

Comments (67)