SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
prairie_love

pectin, sugar, jams and preserves - Carol?

prairie_love
16 years ago

OK, now that I learned about preserves - with Carol's great help getting me through the habanero peach preserves - I am starting to plan next summer's canning already (and I'm not even through with this summer!). I want to be sure I have this right and then ask if I can do some things differently.

Is this right?

- Preserves have (usually) large chunks of fruit and are jelled without added pectin

- Jams have small pieces of fruit or fuit mush and are jelled with added pectin

- Lower sugar (or no sugar) jams can be made by using the no-sugar-needed pectin

And then, Carol (readinglady) wrote The jell point is 8 degrees above boiling (varies by altitude) or another way to think about it is, to reach the jell point a preserve needs to be about 65% sugar concentration (sometimes 68%). That includes the sugar in the fruit and the sugar you add. So if your fruit is riper, you don't need to add as much other sugar. You're boiling the water out to hit that magical 65% point. The sugar concentration at that point is high enough that it attracts the remaining water to itself. That leaves the pectin molecules to bond to each other. They form a "net" or interlocking mesh and then you have, Eureka! a preserve that's set.

That implies to me that if I am making preserves, and will not be adding pectin, then I cannot decrease the amount of sugar. Right?

So, my real question is this - is it not possible to make a low sugar jam or preserves with no added pectin?

Like some of the rest of you, I have noticed that the pectin may have a slight taste, so would prefer to not add it if I could. However, I find the preserves that I have made (Peach Preserves for a Cold Morning and Strawberry Deluxe) to be overly sweet. It's a dilemma.

All that said, I have not yet tried the Pomona's that many of you prefer. Will that solve all my problems?

Along the same lines, can I alter any recipe with added pectin to a low sugar one by just using the no-sugar-neeeded pectin and decreasing the sugar to whereever I wanted? Or am I likely to mess up the jell anyway?

Thanks,

Ann

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths