SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
delairen

Clumping Pomona Pectin & Improving my methods for jam

delairen
12 years ago

Heya other canners -

I had an interesting experience today that I thought I'd share. I purchased some Pomona Pectin to use after all good reviews I heard about it, and today was my first time using it.

I had washed a bunch of blueberries for jam and after reading up on sugar and fruit chunks, decided to combine the fruit and sugar, simmer until the sugar was dissolved, and then let rest overnight. Of course, this was before I had read the directions for Pomona that stressed the importance of mixing the pectin with the sugar.

When I started making the jam, I had a bit of an issue with the pectin clumping, and my first batch of jam had a less than desirable texture. I was a little frustrated, and did a little research, and found out that some people (and some recipes) recommend mixing the pectin with water thoroughly before adding it to the jam.

I thought about that for a little while, and then had an idea. The blueberries had developed a lovely syrup - and my thought was that if the pectin was going to act like a starch, I would try making a slurry out of it with some reserved syrup, before adding it to the boiling jam.

It worked beautifully. :-) The first batch has a clumpy, almost gritty texture, the second batch I used about a half a cup of syrup and it was much improved, but the third batch I used a full cup of reserved syrup and it was absolutely the best.

If you've never made a slurry before, you add a little bit of liquid, a spoon full or two, and stir until it creates a thick paste, then add more a little more, until combined, then a little bit more, and so on, until all the liquid is combined.

It was so much easier to work with that way, I will probably do it again in the future. Although the real proof will be the texture when I open the jar, but I feel pretty confident it will be good. :-) Has anyone else done this?

Del

Comments (3)