SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
psittacine

Pomona's, ClearJel, Instant Clear Jel

psittacine
15 years ago

I'm about out of Pomona's and was thinking I need to order more before my neck gave out again ...and I may not be able to assume the 'computer position' again for a while. So I decided to insure Pomona's company was the best place for me to order from again, but as usual got side-tracked and ended up here, as I've done so many times before.

Naturally I've seen the posts on Pomona's and ClearJel in the past. But this memory is not sharp, so please forgive if I'm asking questions that have been answered before.

Has anyone used all three: Pomona's, ClearJel, Instant Clear Jel ...and have any thoughts they would like to share on usability? Do all three have the same jelling capabilities? Storing capabilities? Consistency and texture in jams and pies? Price comparable? Preferences and why?

I remember that some notice a 'grit' with Pomona's calcium, but I haven't. The only 'pain' I have with using Pomona's is MY MATH in figuring the correct amount of calcium/pectin to not produce weird sponge-glue, when using Splenda. I'm still trying to perfect the texture problem in my version of carmel apple pie jam (yes, I do understand that the texture will never be the same as it is with using sugar, but want to get to perfect spread-ability without the gum or running). I am getting a bit frustrated writing it all down so "when I get it perfect I can do it again next batch".. which hasn't happened yet. Today I'll try a batch mixing up 3/4 the amount of pectin I used the last time and see how well that works. I'll only add 3/4 the amount of Splenda I have tried in the past. If I need more pectin, it'll be easy to add with the remaining Splenda I'll put in anyway.

Just wonder if I would have better luck using the Instant/Clear Jel, if cost is not outlandish.

Thanks.

Crystal

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21