SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jharts_gw

Confused about pressure cookers/canners

JHarts
10 years ago

I'm just sticking my toe in the water here. I've done water bath canning many moons ago but that was limited to tomatoes and jams. My path this time started with:

a container garden of plum tomatoes
> too many green tomatoes
> idea to make gardeniera
> trip to farmers market for extra veggies (since I had started with just one - the green tomatoes)\
> explosion of vegetables in kitchen (I just love farmers)
> idea of canning
> extra idea that all the extra soup that I make and can't eat fast enough could be canned too!
> COMPLETE AND UTTER CONFUSION over canners vs. cookers

I spent a lot of time researching pressure cookers and decided I'd buy a Fagor Duo 8-quart only to come across something on their website that said the 10-quart could also be used for canning. Since they didn't have that claim in the description for the 8-qt., I figured the 10-qt. is as small as you can go for canning. Is that right? Or could I get away with an 8-qt.?

I like the price on the 10-qt., ($120 on Amazon), the Fagor 8-qt. consistently gets great reviews on America's Test Kitchen so I am thinking the 10-qt. would get the same thumbs'-up, but.....

What do you all think? Any horror stories? Any thumbs up or down?

I was reading another thread here and saw a lot of talk about weights, so that's my last question...What ARE weights? if I get this Fagor, how will I know if I neeI weights?

Thanks for the help!!

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Ngrained Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Custom Woodworking, Décor, and More in Franklin County