SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Question about pressure cookers (not canners)

2ajsmama
10 years ago

I found a 5 qt electric PC at Goodwill on Wed, cooked a frozen ham bone at High (labeled 15 psi) setting for 1 hour that night, it did make a wonderful broth (that I then added canned beans, the shredded meat off the bone, and spinach to, cooked without lid on "Brown" setting). I haven't actually browned anything in it, but that soup boiled right away.

Tried the Steam function yesterday with 1C of water, a small rack, and a Pyrex bowl with 1.5C of rice and 3C of water. No "recipe" in the manual, just said to put rice (and I assumed water, 2x as much as rice) in an 8" or smaller bowl on the rack with at least 1 C of water in bottom. 15 minutes - barely hot - another 15 min - hot and softer but not cooked. So I just put it on 15 psi for 10 min and the rice was mushy. OK, so maybe Steam setting doesn't really work - was supposed to get water "rapidly boiling" but I tried 2C of water alone today and it took quite a while to get it boiling - it definitely wasn't boiling when the timer started counting down the cooking time after supposedly coming to temp. I can boil 2C of water faster on my stove.

Tried just putting in 1.5C of rice and 3C of water, 15 psi for 7 minutes (according to chart in manual). Quick release got sticky rice water all over and the rice was even mushier than yesterday's!

Warm is supposed to be 158 degrees, and maybe it will maintain that if something was cooked at higher temp, but just turning it on Warm only got water to 110 (good for culturing yogurt I guess). Looks like I shouldn't use Warm (though OK if it switches to that after cooking is done, while we're finishing eating, I would NOT set the cook time to end when we're not home since I don't think it would keep food in the safe zone).

So I decided to test the temp for slow cooking rather than actually cooking something today. Says 180 degrees (only 1 setting, equivalent to Low on my crockpot I guess since PC manual said most foods will take 8 hours). Only got water to 160 degrees after an hour.

I prefer to cook things fast instead of slow (only good thing about my slow cooker is that I can put frozen stew beef in, thaw it out a bit, break it up, and then finish cooking it with the beans - but Brown function on this followed perhaps by slow cook could work, since beans are pre-cooked. Or maybe PC the meat then turn to Brown again for beans & tomatoes?).

But I decided to test temp of water after letting it run at 15 psi for 15 minutes (starting with warm water). It did get to enough pressure to lift the locking lever, I did a quick release to vent and unlocked it, the water wasn't even boiling - measured 206*. I'm sure venting lowered the temp of the water when it lowered the pressure, but for some reason I expected it to at least be boiling.

Of course I would never use this for canning, and cooking times may have to be adjusted, but has anyone ever measured the water in a stovetop cooker after doing a quick release of pressure?

I have to return it tonight (they only give 2 days for electrical/electronic returns). Is it worth it to keep this to "quick cook" in, since my glass stove isn't doing well with the 16 qt Mirro (and really, I don't want to haul that out to cook dinner, much less the 23qt Presto)? Saves me time and gas (34 miles round trip, so over $5 in gas) not to make a special trip to return it tonight, for a net refund (after gas) of about $8. But I don't think it's going to replace any of my current appliances, unless I decide I'd rather "quick cook" everything instead of slow cooking.

Comments (9)