SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zabby17

Wine Warmers

zabby17
16 years ago

I canned some poached pears in white wine last night. The syrup was a bottle of reisling, 1 1/2 cups added water, 1 1/2 cups sugar, and vanilla extract, boiled with pieces of ginger, allspice, and vanilla bean. Cooked the pears in it for a few minutes, then packed into jars and topped up with syrup.

There was syrup left over --- I had feared not having enough, or I would have added less water.

It smelled lovely, so I poured a bit of the leftover warm syrup into a mug and sat down to enjoy drinking it slowly. It was so good! There was quite a bit left over --- far more than I had any intention of drinking in the afternoon --- and I thought, this is so lovely, I should save it in the fridge and warm it up some chilly night soon for a nightcap.

Then suddenly I thouhgt, why not can it? Then it won't have to be some night soon, it could be in the middle of winter or any time!

I found that by adding just a WEE bit more water I could get two cups, so I quickly scrubbed & warmed up two half-pint jars, filled them and added them to the canner with the pears (which had just reached a roiling boil).

I am thinking, what I have is wine, flavoured with fruit juice and sweetened with sugar, in a single-serving size --- just like a wine cooler, only it's for drinking WARM! ;-)

Anyway, before I apply a liquor licence and make a fortune marketing my brilliant creation [you can all say you knew me when], I thought I'd ask here and see if anyone can think of any reason I haven't thought of as to why it wouldn't be safe to can this pre-mulled wine and drink it later?

Zabby

Comments (7)