SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dirtymartini_gw

I want field grown Fl Slash Pine...why so pricey??

dirtymartini
13 years ago

Ok, we bought 12 slash pines for $10 each off the back of a truck in a parking lot. Sounds like the beginning of a bad joke, right? :) They were grown in pots. They just don't seem to be *doing* much, ya know? They are about, I dunno, 8 ft tall now? We have had them in the ground 1 year. We want to replace maybe 3 or 4 of them with some field grown pines that are already kind of tall, but it kills us to see the prices. I know down here in SoFla we get charged more because overhead is higher for the nurseries.

We drove down the FL turnpike this holiday weekend, from central FL back home to Broward. We were joking how the slash pines were MOCKING US. There is a billion of them, all sizes, looking so healthy. They grow like weeds! I am thinking about finding someone with a lot of property that just has them growing wild and asking them if we can dig a few up. Do they transfer well at 12-15 feet tall? Or if we get smaller ones (7-8 ft like we have now) but they are field grown, will they grow quicker?

I know some of these questions might seem dumb. I just like throwing topics "out there" because usually someone comes along and posts some suggestions or tricks that I would have never thought of and did not even ask about. I love when that happens!

Hope everyone's Thanksgiving was great!

Comments (16)