SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leekle2mane

Why you shouldn't become a Master Gardener

I found this a little humorous and just felt like passing it along.

This past weekend I was standing in line at the Tree Giveaway in Tavares and just happened to be standing next to a Master Gardener who worked there at the Lake County Extension Office. As we talked I mentioned that I was debating on whether or not to take the Master Gardener class there to learn more about my garden as well as improve my propagation techniques. She informed that propagation really wasn't covered that much by the Master Gardener class but that I would be better off taking different classes through the University.

She also pretty much told me, "If you want a successful garden, do not become a Master Gardener. We Master Gardeners tend to kill more plants than we save because we're constantly pushing our boundaries and trying to find the right micro-climates in our yard to put plants that normally wouldn't survive. And we often fail."

P.S. I ended up with 3 Slash Pines, 2 Live Oaks, a Common Persimmon, a Chickasaw Plum and a Green Ash. I didn't really want 3 pines and 2 oaks, but I had my kids with me and they weren't shy about asking if they could have a tree too. Of course, they couldn't have asked for a Persimmon or Plum that I was really interested in...

Comments (15)