SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
moliep

What local places do you shop at for food, breads, flowers, etc?

moliep
10 years ago

Hi all! Richie's post about CSA baskets got me to thinking. Since my DH & I retired, we started taking lots of day trips around CT, MA, and even eastern NY. (We love the Cape and RI but avoid those areas when the summer tourist season begins.) One of the things we most love to do is to stop at smaller local markets, farms and stores that we find on our travels.

I'm curious.... what places would you recommend to day travelers like us? I'd love to hear about more stops where we could support local business. To get everyone started, I've listed some of our favorites.

BANTUM BREAD COMPANY, Bantum, CT.... they bake the most delicious breads, tea cakes and cookies and we ALWAYS stop there on our trips into Litchfield area.

SUNFLOWER FARM, Orange, CT... they sell natural soaps, that I use religiously, local honey, jams, jellies, homemade cupcakes, pies and locally made stuffed breads in a very small farm store.

CATO CORNER FARM, Colchester, CT....artisan cheeses made from hormone free/antibiotic free Jersey cows, raised on the farm.

NATUREWORKS garden center in Northford, CT... they emphasize organic, and natural appearance gardens. Small and very charming. We always find something unique there.

VANWILGEN'S GARDEN CENTER, North Branford, CT... this place has grown and expanded during three generations of ownership. They grow an enormous amount of product and have 2 acres of greenhouse plus tremendous growing fields. In the early 90s, they were one of the first around to introduce water gardening to customers. It's a real contrast to Natureworks.

ROBERT TREAT FARM, Milford, CT.... great family with a long agricultural history. This is where we shop for vegetables and other foods, dairy, fresh eggs, shrubs, perennials, annuals. Located in a beautifully constructed barn! The owner is there every day.

J & L ORCHIDS, Easton, CT... a great place to find unusual orchids with a very knowledgeable, helpful staff. Small but worth the drive.

BLOOMINGFIELDS FARM Daylilies, Gaylordsville, CT....Organically grown on a small family farm, their plants are wonderful... and so are the owners. Smaller selection than the larger catalogue companies, but they can vouch for the stamina of their product.

LOGEE'S GREENHOUSE, Danielson, CT... I'm guessing that many of you are familiar with Logee's. A great place go visit.

KENT GARDEN CENTER, Kent, CT... very high end but great to walk around. We've gotten some neat ideas from visiting this place.

I'd love to hear your opinions! Thanks,
Molie

Comments (9)