SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leekle2mane

When a window gets closed...

... a door gets opened. Or at least that's what they say.

Today, my window was two of my citrus plants, a Mandarin tree and a Meyer Lemon bush. I finally took leaf and stem samples from my citrus plants down to my extension office, something I had been putting off because I knew what the verdict was going to be. And sure enough, both the mandarin and the meyer are suffering from Citrus Greening. Oddly enough, however, my Key Lime shows no signs of being infected. So upon getting home I took my brush saw to the two diseased plants and removed them from the yard. I have been applying micro-nutrients to the mandarin and the meyer for some time now, and while I have been keeping them more or less alive and green, they have not been vigorous and every bit of new growth on the mandarin kept dying back. And while I might have been able to keep feeding fertilizer and micros to the affected plants, I figured it was in the best interest of the uninfected Key Lime to just remove them.

But as I pulled up the roots for the mandarin, a light came on. For the longest time I have been trying to figure out where in my yard I could put some of the potted Pine Trees I have, but no suitable locations were available. Suddenly, two prime locations were available that were in just the right places, on the west and northwest sides of my house. Places that would eventually provide that 'high pine shade' during the summer months, but would not block the sun during winter months.

Now, I have read horror stories about pine trees being lightning rods or breaking in high winds, but I have also read that this is often the case when a single pine tree is planted by itself. When planted in groups, pine trees lean on and hug each other and provided support in high winds that a single pine doesn't have. Pine trees also have a tendency to lose limbs as they grow, but the locations that just opened up are far enough from the house that if a limb drops, it won't land on the house.

My issue is: I have four pines in pots, two Long-Leaf pines and two Slash pines and I'm not sure which two I would want to plant. I have looked at pictures of both at mature ages and I just can't decide which one I like better. So I put it to you, fellow Florida Gardeners, which of these two, if either, would you prefer?

On an unrelated note, while I was down at the extension office, I took another walk through their Discovery Gardens. Unfortunately, I did more walking and talking than I did picture taking, but I did get a few pictures that I would like to share.

This was the first thing that really peeked my interest. It was shoved into one of the raised (3 foot tall) planting beds in their Garden of the Five Senses area. I saw another one over in their Hot and Dry garden where I bumped into the MG who had found them at a thrift store. They look super easy to build and I'm thinking if I put one at the end of some stainless steel electrical conduit, I can have a plant stake that doubles as an Anole Apartment. Three anoles were using this one as a resting spot.

This is one of my favorite areas of the gardens and its something I mentioned in another recent post. This is a section of walkway that has two Pineapple Guavas planted on either side of the walk and pruned up to create a natural arch. At 6' 3", I had to duck in a couple places to keep from brushing my head against the arch, but most people would be able to walk through here with no issues. I would love to replicate this some year when I have more land to work with. But my current yard is just too small and narrow to pull this off.

And, of course, the Pineapple Guava was in full bloom today.

This last one wasn't at the gardens, but is a picture of a 'weed' that I took in to get identified. This plant has been growing in and around one of my beds for some time now. A couple times I was almost tempted to pull it completely out, but instead I just kept thinning it out, pulling some of it up and leaving a bit to grow, hoping to some day see if it bloomed. After last week's rains, the plant has exploded in these lavender-pink flowers (though they look white in this picture, yay crappy cell-phone cameras) and it prompted me to get this semi-aggressive spreader identified. And... it turns out to be a native to Florida. It's called Florida Betony and is a type of mint. I'm not sure about the rest of the plant, but the tubers are edible. I'll have to dig one up and see how it tastes. The MG I talked to also said the tubers act as a reserve of moisture for the soil, not just the plant itself. So other plants nearby get to benefit during drier times when the tuber releases some of its stored moisture into the soil.

Comments (18)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor