SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisaincolumbus

Ball Basil-Garlic Tomato Sauce

lisaincolumbus
10 years ago

I've got a big pot of Ball Basil-Garlic Tomato Sauce (Blue Book recipe) bubbling on my stove. I used tomatoes that I'd frozen at the beginning of the season and added some that I'd just picked to make a batch and a half. I increased the amount of onions and garlic to match the original recipe proportions. Now I'm worried that measuring the tomatoes before freezing them will lead to a lower thawed weight and thus higher proportion of onions and garlic than would be safe for canning. Here's what I did. What's your opinion?

20 - 30 lb tomatoes (This is where I'm not sure. Single batch calls for 20 lbs. I think I put in 30 lbs)
1.5 cups chopped onion (single batch is 1 c)
12 cloves garlic, minced (single batch is 8 cloves)
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup finely minced, fresh basil (single batch is 1/4 c)
1 Tbsp bottled lemon juice per hot jar (Does this need to be increased for a batch and a half? I'm thinking not since I'm still doing pints, but you tell me, please.)

Before you say I should have only made a single batch, I do know that. My biggest concern is whether the thawed tomatoes now weigh less than they should. It was 20 lbs pre freezing, and I added 10 lbs fresh picked. I didn't bother to weigh after thawing because I knew the weight had already changed after I squeezed out the pulp and seeds before freezing.

Thanks!

Comments (8)