SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Heirloom tomatoes not ripening so well indoors

2ajsmama
10 years ago

Still have some tomatoes I picked in Sept when we had some frost advisories - a lot rotted, I've been throwing them out, made some fresh tomato sauce a few times. Pastes and hybrid beefsteaks seem to be ripening the best but the heirlooms are just getting wrinkled (even though we turned off the dehumidifier) and not really ripening - the Cherokee Purple look pink.

Wondering if I should keep tossing the wrinkled ones, or if they'd be any good to dehydrate?

I'm going out now to pick what I can - I think maybe everything (and make green tomato pickles, relish, salsa) since it's supposed to get to mid-30's this weekend, and next few days might have rain so I don't know how much picking I'll be able to do after today.

Anything that shows any color I guess should be left to ripen and not used for green tomato recipes? But I hate to just throw them out in a few weeks if they rot or wrinkle. Is it OK to use tomatoes that are at breaker stage in the recipes I mentioned? Or does anybody have any tips for ripening - like move from basement (50's) to house (mid-60's)? Though I'm not sure DH will really care for that - after I've finally made some headway with the ripe tomatoes I had in the garage, laundry room and kitchen a while back ;-)

Comments (4)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH