SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Salsa Fair Entry

2ajsmama
10 years ago

I was dropping of DD's jelly in the Jr division yesterday and saw quarts of what I thought was tomato sauce (with over 1" HS) next to jelly. Turned out to be salsa! I mentioned to lady taking entries that I didn't know of any approved salsa recipes that could be canned in quarts but she brushed me off. Should I be concerned that this kid is making salsa (recipe unknown - that's always a concern, b/c this fair doesn't ask for recipes) and canning in quarts?

I did see Mexican Tomato Sauce on NCHFP can be PCed in quarts (though until you scroll down to the tables for processing you don't see that, just under ingredients it says "Please read Using Boiling Water Canners before beginning.")

I guess it's possible that the kid (9-15) used an approved recipe and a PC - I won't even let my kid (on the young end of that scale) use a BWB, mainly b/c she's so short she can't even see into the 12-qt stockpot I use as a BWB. So maybe the parent did the PCing, like I put the jars in and took them out of the BWB for my DD.

I had mentioned that other fairs were asking for recipes, and emailed the NCHFP's fair judging guidelines to the fair email address last week but got no reply.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm